Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thankful For Shelter

"I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. Selah" PSalm 61:4

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1

"You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat. For the breath of the ruthless is like a storm driving against a wall" Isaiah 25:4

Last night I had a simple dream. Well, actually I had many dreams that I need to sift through and see if there is something important there- but the one that sticks out to me the most is the one where I was with a group of people from church, and we were simply praising God. That's all. Nothing spectacular or crazy was happening, we were simply praising God- worshiping in one accord. When I woke up from it though, I had such a warm fuzzy feeling- like I had actually been praising God for a while. This is one of those instances where I believe I was. My spirit had a desire to worship God, so it did it in my sleep- and as a result I feel like my whole day got a boost, and I am reminded that in everything- I. Will. Praise. Him. In everything!

I feel like too much of me has been focused on our current situation of looking ahead to moving. I am so focused sometimes when I am praying, that I feel like I am missing out. This morning I spent sometime with some ladies online- I've offered to pray for a few people who are also looking for a home, and as one shared a bit of her story, I was really reminded that I should remember to thank God for the home we already have, before looking ahead to the next one. I should also be thankful for our new home before it's there- but really, I need to be thankful to God for the years that we have been sheltered where we are. This place really has been a blessing to us!

And I also need to be thankful for other means of shelter. Because the reality is that while we are believing that God has the perfect place for us, about to be revealed, should something get in the way of fulfilling that plan, we do have other options. We don't have to be worried in the least about having a roof over our heads, because we know that will be there. God will provide shelter in whatever way it needs to be done.

But in the meantime, while we're waiting for our physical shelter, I am thankful for our spiritual shelter. I feel this morning like I am nestled up in God's arms. I do feel like I am in a time of rest- and maybe it's to prepare me for the days to come- but maybe it's simply rest while I am waiting. And that is such a gift! These last few weeks I have felt such a peace- I don't feel like I am a slave to a clock at all, we get things done that need to be done- we go to the places that we need to go to- but we always have plenty of time to fit it all in- including some relaxing time as the day goes on. Boy, am I thankful for that. So thankful! I can't help but think that maybe a part of the reason why I am feeling such a time of rest is because I am placing my trust in God to be the perfect refuge and shelter. As long as I am dwelling with Him- He will meet our physical needs.

In our days that could be filled with trouble, we've found peace and rest. God is so good!

"For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock." Psalm 27:5

No comments: