Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Warfare Wednesday

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."

25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;

26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD." Lamentations 3:22-26

Do you know that there are over 1 billion people in the world who go to bed hungry most days? Over one billion people across the globe are suffering from hunger and starvation... I barely have words to take this further, because this just isn't right. In the U.S. alone, one in four households with children are suffering from a lack of food. One. In. Four. Look out your front door, count the number of houses you can see, and then do the math. Odds are really good that some of your neighbors fall into this "food hardship" zone, and no one knows anything about it.

Think about that co-worker who always says that they aren't hungry, so they skip lunch nearly every day. Think about those children down the street whose only meals are the ones served at school. I'm thinking right now about the fact that our local school district just started serving breakfast in the last few months. What a blessing that has got to be for some of those children.

You know, we've gone through some rough times with money, but we've never been to the point where we've skipped meals or sent kids to bed hungry because there was simply no food. There have been lean times, where we simply don't snack much, have treats, or I don't go grocery shopping for weeks at a time- but then we eat out of the pantry and freezer- our storehouse which God has laid in abundantly.

I have such a heart for people who are hungry. It just shouldn't be. People should not have to decide between paying the heating bill or buying groceries. There should not be children walking to school in the morning with a stomach that feels like its eating itself. I chose the Bible verse I did this morning because it gives me such encouragement when things seem like they are just in a downward spiral. But I wonder how encouraging even words from God could be when someone is facing an empty pantry and a child with an empty stomach. I simply cannot fathom that.

And so I pray this morning, as we pray for our country and for wisdom and safety for President Obama, I pray for an awareness. I pray for an end to hunger in our communities- I pray that our eyes may be opened to the need around us, and that God will provide the means to meet those needs. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and while I was there I picked up a few things to take to the food pantry, but as I looked at it, it just isn't enough. I have such a heart and feel so much compassion for those who are suffering from hunger- both here at home and abroad.

I don't know.... I guess it seems to me that there is something missing. Last November it was reported that about half of the US population was receiving some amount of food aid from the national SNAP program. Yet there are still one-in-four suffering from hunger. Something is missing here. Something in the chain is broken- and those families who are receiving assistance? Most of them don't receive enough to keep their growing children's bellies full. So as I'm praying this morning my soul is just weeping for those who are hungry, and I'm praying for wisdom and revelation. I'm praying that a solution will be found soon to help those who are truly, truly in need. There are just so many- and no one should go to bed hungry. No mom should have to tuck a child into bed hungry. No dad should have to skip dinner so that his children can have just a little more. Hunger should not be an issue in the world today.

May God move mightily. May he fill the bellies and fill the hearts. As a solution comes forth to help solve the worlds hunger problems- may the world know that the solution found is from God. Man truly cannot live by bread alone- and as the hungry find food, may they also find a loving and compassionate God who wants to heal their aches and bruises.

God is so good. May He fill our hearts with compassion so that we can reach out to those around us who are truly in need.

No comments: