Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks

"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

I was thinking about Thanksgiving this morning, and I find it almost humorous that our country, our land of "separation of church and state" celebrates a holiday that centers on giving thanks to God. I know that to many people, Thanksgiving is only about the turkey dinner, and maybe gathering with friends. But every year at this time, we are inundated with the idea of giving thanks. And while those who are not Christians can sit at their dinner table and simply say "I am thankful for..." and not say it specifically to God. They really are... aren't they? I mean, who do they think they are thanking?

I guess, to me, I just like the reminder this time of year, because I can get not-so-thankful in a hurry once that snow starts falling. Just this morning, as we were out and about early, I pulled up to a stop sign, saw the ice on the road, and thought to myself that it's going to be a long winter. Yet I choose to live in this part of the country, where winter is a very real reality. The fact is, that while I don't enjoy winter in the least, I am thankful for the winter, because it keeps the bugs under control. It keeps less desirable critters, like snakes, much further south where it's warmer. To be honest, it also gives me an excuse to be at home more often, and be in the home. Since I don't have to spend the time working in the garden or yard, I can take more time to read a book or work on a project and not feel bad about wasting time. So I like Thanksgiving because it makes me take a good hard look at life and remember that I really am thankful and grateful to God for everything.

Give thanks in all circumstances. I don't think it's possible to be a much more thankful person than I am right now. God has just blessed us so much, and when I look back at this past year, I am simply amazed at how far He has brought us. It wasn't that long ago that we were sitting in our living room, venting to friends about how things were looking grim. That seems like a whole other lifetime ago! And when I look at that, when I look at the difference, the changes that have occurred from January to now, I just wonder where God is going to take us next. I am so thankful that our eyes are being opened and that we can see the things that we need to see- especially what we find in His Word each and every day.

Today I am going to remember to be thankful for my children. They are both off of school for the week, and we're all looking forward to the time off. I'm going to do my best to enjoy as much of it as possible, and not be the bad mommy that comes out sometimes. And I'm going to be especially thankful for good health. For runny noses to stop completely, for coughing to go away, because I know that God is going to take care of that for us, and I like the thought of being thankful before something is even done.

No comments: