Monday, May 14, 2007

A Simple Reminder

Yesterday at church all the Mom's received a Mother's day card from God. At first I have to admit, I thought it was a little cheesy. But as I read through the card, it did make me smile, and it served as a great reminder to me. One part of the card talked about the significant job mother's have to do, and maybe someday that will be a topic for a post here. The part of the card that I enjoyed though simply said "Never forget I'm always here to help". Then there were some scriptures which I'll be sharing here.

It may be a simple thing, but sometimes we need to be reminded of simplicity. God IS always there to help. No matter what the situation.

" For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through Christ...as a mom, I admit there are days where I am just not in the mood. There are days where everything seems to go wrong, both kids want my attention, dinner is burning and the washing machine is jammed up while a salesman is at the door selling junk and a rabbit is nibbling at my garden sprouts. Yes, even I have those days. What usually happens is my frazzled self runs from task to task getting everything taken care of as much as possible, but at the expense of my children and my nerves. It's in those moments that it is good to remember that I can ask God for help. I don't have to be specific, or take five to get in a good and deep prayer. All I have to do is call out, and he will hear me and offer a hand.

"Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10

He is always with me. And while there are days where I feel like Super-woman and get everything done I want to get done, plus spend quality time with the family, I know that those days are because I had help. I did not do it all myself. It is God who directs my days and shows me the next steps to take.

" Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take." Proverbs 3:5-6

And more importantly, it is God who is always going to be with me. I can look to Andy to come home from work some days and rescue me from the household turmoil. And there are certainly those days where he walks in and can just sense what kind of day I've had, and he'll happily take the kids off to do something while Mommy collects herself. And while I am most grateful for such a wonderful husband, I also have a God who is always there to help me in those moments.

"I will never fail you.
I will never abandon you." Hebrews 13:5

And finally, on those days where I just don't think I can make it another ten minutes, I have a God that I can rely on to give me the strength I need to make it through. Mom doesn't get sick days. Most often I still have to function and take care of my beauties, no matter how near-death I am feeling that day. On those days, a simple call out to God can revive me, and give me the energy I need to feed my kids and get them ready for their day.

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

It was a delightful message to me. It was such a simple reminder, that I have help with even the most simple or mundane things. No matter how trivial the issue may be, I can ask God to help me be the best Mom I can be. When Abigail has a finger full of slivers I can pray that God will help me pull them out with as little pain as possible. When Zander misses the bathroom and we discover that he does indeed have a tummy-ache, I can pray for patience and a sound stomach to deal with the ensuing mess, and to love my little boy and comfort him.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

No comments: