Saturday, May 12, 2007

Finish What You've Started

" Finishing is better than starting.
Patience is better than pride." Ecclesiastes 7:8

I am notorious for not finishing something. I have sewing projects and cross-stitch projects that are about 80% done, but I have little desire to finish them. I went to college, and completed my education minus one class- so I never did get the degree that says I'm educated. I'll plant a garden and once it's planted I'll pick weeds a few times, but it isn't long before I let them have their way while I'm waiting for the garden to produce.

I've been getting better. I do want to set a better example for my kids. So often they'll start something and it will be too hard for them, so I encourage them as best as I can to finish whatever they've begun. And sometimes, that's where the patience comes in. Actually, patience comes in a lot with my kids. There are times where they really want to help me out with something. Making pizza would be a great example there. I could put the pizza together myself, and it would be tasty and look like it came from a pizzeria. But my kids almost always want to help with pizza, and that is a trial of patience for Mommy. I bite my tongue when all the cheese ends up on one side, or the sausage isn't evenly distributed. And I thank my kids and praise them for their work. The end result is that we all get pizza, and I swear it does taste better because they made it themselves. That is a fantastic reward for patience. If I were to be prideful and insist on doing it myself, they wouldn't have that sense of accomplishment that speaks volumes to their little minds.

God can be a wonderful source of encouragement when we don't want to finish something. There will be times where I am cleaning the church for the week and I will decide I've had enough for that week, and I'll let a few things slide for the next. Then I realize that I'm placing a priority on something other than God, and I'll ask him to help me finish my cleaning. Most often, then I tackle a project that's needed to be done for a while, and I have a song in my heart while doing it. I finish up my cleaning grateful for the opportunity to serve, instead of being grateful that it's over. I think learning to appreciate the finish line can be a gift from God. And I thank him today that he guided me to Ecclesiastes for this verse, because it fills me with the desire to go and finish something important today.

Happy weekend everyone!

No comments: