Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Gratituesday: A New Morning

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22,23

Can I be simple this morning? I'll tell you, this morning, as I laid in bed, trying to decide whether I should get up or lie there for a few more minutes, I thought about what I should blog today. I thought about my other blogs which are getting sorely ignored this summer, and I thought about the plans we have for today. And then I just smiled to myself and thought about how wonderful it is to have a new day before me.

And that's when I knew what to blog about this morning. Today IS a new day. It's a completely new day, and a world of possibilities is before me as we choose to go about our day. Will today be the day that we find a new place to live? Will today be the day that I have a great opportunity to share my faith? Who knows, but one things is certain, today IS the day that the Lord has made. How can I not rejoice in that? Every day when I wake up, I get to wake up and get out of bed and greet the day with the mood of my choice. Why not begin it with joy and gladness?

Have you ever noticed,(if you're a parent, I'm sure you've noticed), how wonderful your kids are first thing in the morning? Even as Abigail goes on nine years old next month, I still love waking up and seeing my kids in the morning. The first thing I want to do is give them a hug and a good morning. I absolutely love it when they come into my room and jump on the bed to wake me up. Yet as the day wanes on, often times, I find myself really looking forward to bedtime, because this mommy has had enough being mommy. But then the next day comes, a new morning, and we get to start all over again.

Last week, the kids and I started some school activities. I'm calling it summer school for their behalf, because really, it's for all of us to get used to Mommy being the teacher. I can't believe how well it's going. We've been starting around 9:00 in the morning each morning, and last Friday, at 8:30 or so, Zander was begging me to start school for the day. How can I not love that? Today we're taking off because Abigail has dance this morning, and I think both kids were disappointed a little with that. I am so grateful that God gave me a plan for this summer school time. So grateful! It's gotten all of us more comfortable with the idea of homeschooling. The kids are seeing that learning at home can be wonderful and fun, and I'm seeing that I can have the confidence to actually teach my children!

So this morning, I am just going to be grateful for the smallest thing. I am grateful, this Gratituesday, for the new day and the new morning. God is faithful, and tomorrow we will have another new day to tackle. But today I am going to enjoy this day, this new day that God has created. I wonder what He has in store for us today.

2 comments:

CalvaryGirl said...

One of my favorite hymns is Great is Thy Faithfulness ... "morning by morning new mercies I see ... all I have needed thy hand hath provided .. great is thy faithfulness ... Lord unto me".

Mornings are a good time here, too. Then they get totally woken up ;o)

~*~ Wendy ~*~
Gratituesday: HUGE News!
Building Stronger Families:a devotional series

Erika W. said...

CalvaryGirl, I don't find myself singing too many hymns as of late- but that IS one of them I get in my head from time to time.

I hear you on the mornings being woken up. So far it's nice and quiet here, and I'm about to disturb that by insisting on breakfast and clothes.