Thursday, January 29, 2009

Erasing Some of The Fear

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4

Last night Pastor shared this verse at church, and it was exactly what I needed to hear too. I love when that happens. I think I posted once that when a church is doing its job and praying for their pastor and seeking God for answers, the Pastor will often share just what we need right from the pulpit. That's just how God works, and it's wonderful to know that God hears our cries and our questions and answers them. It's also wonderful to have a Pastor who is flexible to hear what God is saying to His people, and sharing that, instead of any prepared sermon or message.

This verse was shared last night after I've spent several days contemplating what I shared yesterday. Ultimately, what it comes down to is that I'm afraid...I just am. But right there in First John, it's like a shot of courage in the arm. It's the first six words especially, that really give it. First of all, the verse calls me Dear. Dear Children. That's talking to me, a child of God, and I'm dear to Him. That gives me warm fuzzies. Even better, that verse is also talking to you! You are a dear child of God too! Look at the next words though, you are from God. I am from God. Wow. Not only am I dear to Him, I'm from Him! Because of that, and because of the Holy Spirit which dwells in me, I have no reason to be afraid. My God who is in me, who sent me, and who calls me dear, is much greater than anything this world can dish out. Even the devil, who is in this world, is no match for My God. I've read the end of the book, and I know that God wins, and God wins everytime. As His Child, as His Dear Child, I can take courage and do what I need to do to slay the enemy that comes against me.

"Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

No comments: