Saturday, April 12, 2008

Getting Rid of Anger

"A fool gives full vent to his anger,
but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11

"The LORD is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and rich in love." Psalm 145:8

I got angry yesterday. I got really angry for awhile. I went into church yesterday afternoon to do my weekly cleaning and came upon a mess that shouldn't have been. I thought really hard about leaving it for someone else to clean, and I also thought really hard about taking pictures of it to show the "powers that be" because it really was an un-called for mess. Then I thought about what would happen if no one actually cleaned it, as I suspected would be the case. And then I thought about a visitor coming to church and checking out the classrooms their children were going to be in, and I thought about what they would think of this horrendous classroom, and I had to suck it up and clean it up. I just couldn't get over the embarrassment of someone new to our church seeing such a mess. Of course, as I cleaned this room I was angry. I was stewing, and since it took some time to clean it, I was stewing further. I had planned one of my "once-every-couple-of-weeks" cleaning project for this day, and now that wouldn't get done because I needed to focus on this mess.

Finally the classroom was done and I could move on, but then I had to clean some surrounding carry-over mess in other rooms and I got angry all over again. I was mopping up the kitchen floor when I realized that my anger really wasn't called for. Why was I angry? I was most likely angry because I had a lot of extra work tacked on for the day, and then it was as if a light dawned, and I felt a hand on my shoulder. I could just hear the voice in my head saying "My child, why are you angry? You are cleaning My House and serving Me." Oh, did I feel bad after that. I did! I stood there with the mop for a second, and I had to say a little prayer. I apologized to God for being angry and asked him to help me finish my cleaning this week with joy. And I did. I immediately started singing the song "Blessed Be" and I finished the rest of my cleaning in no time. I still didn't get to my extra project for the week, but it will still be there next week, so I can always do it then.

Now, there was nothing wrong with becoming angry in the first place. Really, anger in itself isn't a sin, and even Jesus became angry from time to time. But I let that anger take over, I let it consume me, and I was fuming. That was the point where I needed to get some help, and instead of doing so, I just thought in anger and tried to think of ways to prevent this from happening again.

'"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,' Ephesians 4:26

What good was being angry serving, really? It wasn't doing a spot of good, and was making my task un-enjoyable. I had to make a choice. Did I want to finish out my cleaning day stewing and fuming, and having a horrible time? Or did I want to do my job with joy, and serve my Heavenly Father by cleaning His House with care. So I did what I needed to do, and I turned to Him and asked his forgiveness for my anger, and asked for His help. The anger was gone almost instantly and I could smile as I finished. I am so thankful that we have guidance in times such as this! I can turn to the Bible and see all these verses that deal with being angry, and I can also turn my gaze heavenly and seek help and I will receive it.

"Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit,
for anger resides in the lap of fools." Ecclesiastes 7:9

"Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in loving kindness and truth;" Exodus 34:6

No comments: