Saturday, March 01, 2008

It's Not About Stuff!

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26

So why do I continuously have to keep telling myself that! I swear, we go through a period of time every once in a while where we have very little money, and can't buy anything extra. We're in that time right now, and there are some days where all I can think about is what we're going to do when we finally have a little extra money on hand. I have a mental checklist of things I want to buy when I can- why do I do that? Because at the same time, we are reminded each and every day of God's grace and provision. He ALWAYS comes through, and I know that.

I wish I knew what it was. I wish I knew how to just turn off that switch that tells me I want stuff. Much of the things I think about buying are practical- some are fun, but I just need to stop dwelling on not having the finances and living in the now. I need to work harder at being content with where we are and with what we have. We have so much- God has blessed us so much, and I really, really need to remember that. Today is the first day of a new month. While I can look forward to the wonderful days ahead, I pray that God will help me to live in the now, to enjoy each and every day for what it is, and to be grateful and thankful for all that he has given us.

No comments: