Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chapter 1 - The Recipients

I hope you enjoyed reading 1 Peter as much as I did! I keep reading parts of it and learn something each day. Today we are looking at the first chapter, paying special attention to the recipients. What do we learn about them in this chapter? Here's what I saw:
1:1 - The are Christians in Pontus, Galatia, Cappodocia, Asia, and Bithynia
1:2 - They were "chosen by the foreknowledge of God" in order to obey Jesus
1:3 - they are born again in a living hope through Jesus
1:5 - protection comes from the power of God through Christ
1:6-7 - they are undergoing trials but should rejoice in them
1:8 - they love God even though He is unseen
1:14 - they are obedient children of God
1:18-19 - they are redeemed by the imperishable, the Lamb of God
1:21 - they are believers of God through Christ
1:22 - they are obedient and purified souls to love
1:23 - they are born again of imperishable seed

Why is marking this important for us to do? Well, it tells us about who the letter is being written to AND teaches us! If you are a Christian, this is talking about you! There are also several things repeated in here to learn about the recipients...go back through your list (or mine) and see if you see it?

They are obedient. The redemption is through the imperishable! Through Jesus' sacrifice and OBEDIENT example we are redeemed!! What a wonderful thing to be reminded of at this time of year.

Up next: Mark the references to the recipients in chapters 2-5. I'll be back in a few days to share what Ive learned by doing this.

1 comment:

Erika W. said...

Claire, I still can't read for very long without the room spinning...but I am so glad you are sharing this here. In the next few days I'll hopefully return to normal, and I'm looking forward to reading 1 Peter with you. I don't remember ever really studying it close, so this is very exciting!