Thursday, February 07, 2008

Hate the Evil...But not the Evildoer

"Let those who love the LORD hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 97:10

I saw this verse this morning on Verse Of The Day and it almost alarmed me. I could very easily see this being mis-interpreted and causing problems for many. "Let those who love the Lord hate evil." First of all, this is a bit of a surprise to me, here we are in the Bible, with a verse that's giving us permission to hate. But notice, please notice, that it doesn't say to hate evil PEOPLE. The Bible says to hate the wrong-doing and the evil itself, but not the person who is doing it or causing it. We are told by Jesus himself to love our enemies.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," Matthew 5:43,44

We love the people who are causing the evil, and perhaps it is our live that will free them from the evil that enslaves them. God is love, and since we are made in his image, we should exude with that love for our fellow human beings at all times. Without that love, without loving others as ourselves, we become nothing.

"...if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2

No comments: