Friday, February 08, 2008

Guarding the Heart

"Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23

Growing up, people always used to say "garbage in-garbage out". This verse goes right along with that. Now, before anyone gets all alarmed, this isn't going to be any kind of lecture about watching the right TV shows or movies, or listening to the right music or reading the right books. Only you can know yourself and know what is best for you personally. But at the same time, we do need to watch ourselves and what we participate in. I think about when I'm reading a fantasy book or series. I love to read good fantasy- that's one of my favorite genres. But I need to watch myself when I get involved in such a book because it can consume my time. I can end up wasting a few days just because all I want to do is read that book. When my heart's desire moves away from caring for my family, and instead drifts toward reading ALL THE TIME, I need to stop and take a step back.

That's when I need to re-focus, and I need to do that by spending time in one book- the Bible. Just a few minutes every day reminds me where my heart is and what I should be doing. I need to be mindful of when I'm not spending enough time reading my Bible- it's important. Reading the Bible nourishes my soul- so much more so than any novel or cooking book could do.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

No comments: