Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Jealousy from Above

I'm still in Deuteronomy today, and I was reading chapter four when I came to this verse:

"For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God." Deuteronomy 4:24

A few weeks ago we had a guest speaker at church who talked a lot about giving God some attention. He asked how much time every day we spend watching movies and TV, and how does it compare to the amount of time we spend with God. He wasn't really saying that TV or movies are bad, but he was asking how our relationship with God was. He was asking if we gave God even a fraction of the time we spent being entertained. I think it got a lot of people thinking.

Reading this verse today immediately had me thinking about that message. While I can't say I felt convicted at all, it did give me reason to think. I do begin every day in God's Word, but I don't necessarily spend time with Him every day. That prayer time can be fleeting, it comes and goes, and I'll spend a lot of time during the day lifting up a little prayer heaven's way, but a good, solid chunk of time devoted to prayer is not to be found.

SO I wonder what God thinks. He's a jealous God, according to the Bible. He wants my attention. I know this, and I do find myself thinking about it often. But to be completely honest and out there with it today, I think I am afraid to get to that point. I think there's a part of me that thinks that if I really get down to it and spend some quality time one on one with God, that he's going to tell me to do something I don't want to do. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. Yet at the same time, maybe if I did spend some of that time, He'd finally reveal some of His plans for Andy and I. I guess I'm just not there yet.

So I'll be thinking and praying on that. There is empty time in each and every day, it would certainly do me well to fill it.

No comments: