Thursday, January 24, 2008

Fighting The Busy-ness

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." Psalm 51:12

Even David needed help sometimes. That was exactly what I thought of when I read Psalms 51 today. Throughout the chapter, David just comes across as a man who is tired. A man who is exhausted and busy and all he wants is to be refreshed and be able to spend time with his God. He asks God to "grant him a willing spirit, to sustain me." That sounds to me that he's just plain worn out, and he's turning to the One who can give him sustenance and the energy to accomplish that one more task that's laid before him.

Isn't it wonderful that we have a God to turn to in times like this? When we're being pulled in twenty different directions and we feel like we're moving from task to task, we have a God that we can turn to and ask for help. We can ask for the energy and the sustenance to make it through another day. Or perhaps God will place something in front of us that lifts us up and fills us with energy and joy for another day.

Sunday's have become a lot like that for me. Anyone who's been reading this blog from day one knows about all the struggles I've had with wanting to go to church for awhile. I'm beyond happy to say that with all the prayer and perseverance and help from God, that right now, I no longer dread going to church. In fact, I look forward to it. I look forward to the early morning worship rehearsal and have had no problems getting up earlier to get the kids ready and get there in plenty of time. And in fact, the attitude change that I've been experiencing is filtering down. Last week the kids were ready early and asked if they could go even earlier with Andy.

The point here is that we need to ask. If we're tired and weary from being too busy, or if we need an attitude adjustment, we have a God to turn to to ask for help. When I look in my Bible and I see that even David needed to call out for help sometimes, I feel encouraged. I feel like if a great man of God needed to ask for help sometimes, that it's okay if I do too.

No comments: