Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Growing in The Word

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22 I've always been impressed by people who can quote scripture. Not just a verse here or there, but the people who can recite most of a verse, and come mostly close to where it is in the Bible for just about every situation. I do know some of those people. I grew up admiring those people. Recently I decided that I wanted to be one of those people. I wanted to learn my scripture better so that I could just pull verses out of nowhere when the need arose in a conversation somewhere. So I've been doing a little studying and trying to memorize verses. Except you know what? I've been trying to do something for the wrong reasons, and I feel I should fess up.

I wanted to learn these verse to show off. There it is. Can you believe it? Thirty years old and I thought it would be impressive to other people if I were to do a better job at learning my scripture. Then as I was reading the Bible this morning, I read the verse posted above in James, and I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks. I could feel the redness as I realized my error. It does me no good to try to learn scripture for the wrong reasons. I need to learn scripture so that I can follow the scripture. I need to learn these verses so that I may reach into them when I am sad or lonely or need some encouragement, and know that my God is with me always. I need to treasure these scripture verses that tell me how to be the woman God wants me to be. And like Mary, I need to gather them in my heart and ponder them.

I guess a part of me has also been concerned. There is the tiniest measurement of my self that is afraid of what is ahead for us. I am afraid of what is in store and what God's plans for us are. And I worry that I won't have the courage to leap when He says leap. But I was also led to this verse today, which encourages me, and tells me not to be afraid, but to have faith and courage, and continue to grow in God's Word, for it will serve me in due time.

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." John 15:16

See that? It says that God chose me. I didn't choose him, he chose me, and I will bear whatever fruit he sees fit to have me bear. But to be his chosen one, to bear his fruit, I need the proper soil and foundation, and that foundation is in my Bible. By learning God's Word I am taking a most important step towards being his fruit-bearer. I need to remember that, and I stand corrected. I am ashamed of my behavior and my attitude, and I know that I can do better. For I can do all things through Christ who Strengthens me.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

No comments: