Monday, October 08, 2007

A Servant First

"...and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:27-28

Twice yesterday I got the same message. Both in church in the morning, and in our lesson later on at our small group study. And the message is that my time is God's time, and while I am here on earth, I am preparing for an eternity of service in heaven. Which, I have to admit, ultimately confuses me a bit. We've been studying time management for our small group study and the one point that we keep getting is that our time is God's time and we need to use it wisely. And what I learned yesterday is that I need to use more of my time for service to God, and there is the puzzle.

I realize that I am a Mom first and foremost, and a wife second. So when I serve my household with my daily chores I am doing service to God, but it's that "other time" that excess time that I don't know what to do with. Zander is getting so independent. He loves it when I play with him and spend time with him, but more and more he can spend an entire day playing by himself having the time of his life. And while he does this I have plenty of time to myself. Which in theory is great, but when the house is clean and the laundry done, what the heck do I do that is service to God? There has to be something I can do from my home, and that is the puzzle to me.

Recently some ladies from our church started a knitting ministry to knit for needy kids around the world. I think it's an awesome idea! But I don't knit. And I don't care to knit either, I tried it once and really disliked it. But maybe there's something like that I could do? I guess with some time I will figure it out. In the meantime, I will keep open to the possibilities available to me. It would be awesome to figure out a way to use my passion for cooking and baking, but the solution eludes me right now. My my eyes and heart be open to the possibilities before me as I try and discover how I can serve.

"Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you property of your own?

13"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." Luke 16:10-13


No comments: