Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Encouragement from The Word

5 "Good will come to him who is generous and lends freely,
who conducts his affairs with justice.

6 Surely he will never be shaken;
a righteous man will be remembered forever.

7 He will have no fear of bad news;
his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD." Psalm 112:5-7

“"Have I lied to anyone
or deceived anyone?
6 Let God weigh me on the scales of justice,
for he knows my integrity" Job 31:5-6

Sometimes we just need a word of encouragement. I admit that I tend to respond better to a convicting message- one that says get of your lazy butt and do something or shame on you. But every once in a while I just get a little down in the dumps about something, and that's when I turn to my Bible for a little pick-me-up. I love the Psalm above, especially the last line. "His heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord." I get such a visual picture from that line. I see a woman standing on a prairie, watching the sunset after a long, hard day. Her hair is whipping around her, and her dress is blowing in the breeze. Life is hard on the prairie, but as she is watching the sun dip down, she is praying a prayer of thanksgiving to God for all she was able to accomplish that day and praying for the strength to get through the next. Her heart is steadfast, and she trusts that God will help her get through another day. It's just such a moving, visual image to me, and it makes me realize that I have it pretty good living where I live and how I live, and it encourages me to do better with my day.

The second verse I like to lean on when I am discouraged about people in general. Something may be running amok with a friend, or with acquaintances, and this verse is a reminder to me that it is not other people who are responsible for me. I do not do what I do for the glory of other people, I do it for the glory of God. And he, and he alone is the only one who may judge my actions. I need to remember that, when I hear that people are murmuring about me behind my back. That ultimately, it doesn't matter. The only opinion that truly matters to me is the one above. Conversely, this verse is also a reminder to me that it is not my place to judge others as well. I do not know what is in someone else's heart, and someday they will answer to God for their actions.

"let the LORD judge the peoples.
Judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness,
according to my integrity, O Most High." Psalm 7:8

It truly is encouraging to know that what other people think doesn't matter. Sure, sometimes it may hurt to learn the truth about what people truly think, but these verses are a reminder that the only opinion that truly matters is God's opinion. And in those times of hurt, we also have him to turn to to ease the pain that others have caused.

"Cast your cares on the LORD
and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed...However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." 1 Peter 4:12-13, 16

No comments: