Thursday, August 02, 2007

How's This...

For a convicting message?

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22

Every once in a while I read something in the Bible that makes me pause. It makes me really think about what I'm reading and what it means to me. This one kind of made me stop and think yikes! I think it's probably not uncommon for a lot of people to hear what is being said in the Bible and then they smile and think "isn't that nice," or something like that. This verse is pretty straight up and straightforward and says stop sitting on your backside reading this book and do what it tells you! Just reading the Bible or listening to it being read is not going to be beneficial to the people around us. Myself reading the Bible is not helping my neighbor in any way. It's when I take the information I've gleaned from the Bible and use it to help me share Jesus with my neighbor. When I put my faith into action and treat that person with kindness.

"Do what it says." That's a bit of a command don't you think? Not really a suggestion here this morning. So today's challenge is to do. To take some kind of action and not just think about some action.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my! Why does there have to be action following hearing?! :-) Thats the hardest part. These past two weeks I've been at the VA hospital for surgery rotation. I've been so conscious of the way our actions affect other people...and not just our actions, but our demeanor. I always pray that I would show God's love and compassion to those I meet, even when it's oh so hard! I hope that I continue to be alert and ACT according to God's character and commands.