Thursday, June 14, 2007

Passing It On

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." Titus 2:3-5

Well, I'm hardly an older woman. And my sister in law is hardly from a different generation. Nevertheless, I'm a little excited about today's activities. Today I am going to teach my sister in law the fine art of jam-making. I love making jam. It's one of those activities that continuously rewards you all year long with the taste of summer. Picking the strawberries and making jam also happens to be another way I honor God with my hands, and I'm thrilled to be able to share that with someone else as well.

"She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks." Proverbs 31:16-17

As with many things, it also sets a wonderful example for my daughter. She is excited about today's activities as well, and has already asked me at the age of six to teach her how to make jam. I'm looking forward to that as well.

This also happens to be a way to prepare for what lies ahead. It's a way to wisely spend a few of my husband's income now to get food in the pantry for later on. We have no idea when he could be laid off again, and this is just one way the Lord has blessed me in provision. By being able to make jam, come January with no paycheck, a simple stack of pancakes topped with strawberry jam can be a decadent meal. I am so thankful to be able to prepare for what may come. And if it doesn't come, then I have a pantry full of jam to share with family, friends, neighbors, and those who need it.

"In all labor there is profit, but idle chatter leads only to poverty." Proverbs 14:23

"I love you, LORD, my strength." Psalm 18:1

No comments: