Tuesday, May 29, 2007

An Excellent Movie

"These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 8I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut." Revelation 3:7,8

Have you seen the movie Facing The Giants? Let me tell you, if you have not seen it, you need to. And then you need to show it to other people. People in your church, your community, your friends. It's really a powerful movie, and completely a lesson on faith. Finding faith for some, and keeping faith for others.

The passage above was used in the movie, and was my lesson from the movie. The time it was used, the football coach was at his end. Everything was going wrong, and he just felt like he was wasting his time. He'd spent seven years as coach at this school and didn't feel like he was making a difference in the lives of the kids he worked with. One man felt led by God to share the above verse with the coach and basically told him to stay the course, because God was about to do great things. It was a pivotal point in the movie, and the analogy used was that there were two farmers who were praying for rain. One farmer took the time to go out and prepare his fields for the rain that he was praying for, and the other did not. And of course, the one who got the rain from the Lord was the one who'd prepared his fields. The man left after that and the coach determined he was going to "prepare the fields for rain" and turned to God in prayer and scripture.

I won't spoil the movie, but that point really stuck with me, it was such an important message. How many times do we look around and feel like what we are doing is useless? How often do we serve at church week after week and think that we're not making a difference. I can tell you I feel like that a lot. I know I've mentioned here more than once that Andy and I have been struggling with whether we're in the right place for church, sometimes we just feel useless, like our hearts are not meshing with everyone else's. And this movie really spoke to me. Maybe we are meant to prepare the fields for rain. Maybe our church is on the verge of something, and it's our job to help get ready for it. I'm not saying that we're all that and change is dependant on us, but one thing is certain, we don't pray for our church near enough. I do think that as a church we are capable of so much more, and maybe Andy and I are capable of so much more as well. Maybe my frustration with some of the church things needs to be turned inward so I can see better what else I can be doing.

Definitely something to pray on and something to think on and seek God's Will on this. Regardless though, see the movie. Have a movie night, it's really good.

No comments: