Monday, April 23, 2007

Delighting To Do The Will of God

I love the title of today's post. I saw it in my devotional and I new it was for me today. Just think about it. To delight in doing God's will. What great idea- and a great feeling that is! Last night at our group we were discussing that very thing. About how sometimes the will of God is right in front of your face, and sometimes, you don't realize you've done God's will until you already did it.

But for the most part- you can find God's will in a book specially made just for you, and that of course, is your Bible. And look at this verse that I found in it today!

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

That's really an incredible verse in the Bible. It has many things to say to me this morning. The first being to not copy the customs and behavior of this world. I think that for the most part I've always marched to a different drummer, but often times I get caught up in what other people are doing. For example. Today Andy went back to work (I know- that is enough for me to leap for joy today!) and I could certainly spend the day lounging- not doing much, and doing those things a housewife is "known to do". I could spend some time watching talk shows and TV or soap operas. Or I could sit around- maybe play with Zander a bit, but mostly do my own thing. I could pull out a book or scrap booking things that I haven't touched in years. Instead though, God has totally changed my way of thinking. Today is all about enjoying time with my son. Everyday is about spending time with my children and helping mold them into little people for God. And I delight in that every single day. Every day.

So I have also understood the next part of the verse- allow God to change the way you think.

Changing the way you think can be really hard!! It's like developing a habit- or trying to rid yourself of one. It doesn't often happen overnight. But that's where God comes in. He can change it overnight. He can change your mind for you if you just let him. I used to think that my time was so important. It was a big deal that I be allowed my time to get something done, or see to a hobby of my own. I remember lamenting the loss of Abigail's nap time so many years ago- because that was my only free time. And again when Zander lost his nap a few months back. But now... I guess I just don't view my hobby time as important anymore. I used to record TV shows to watch during his nap time. I'd do that and do some cross-stitch or read, or something. And it has been difficult, but over the last several months, I've given up most of my TV viewing. No really. I watch very little TV anymore. It never goes on during the day for myself- only for the kids to watch something on occasion. In the evenings there are a few nights a week that Andy and I enjoy something together, but it is only after the kids are in bed. As a result of this change in mindset, my kids place less importance on TV and movie viewing. We're playing more games together and cooking together and being silly. We have so much more time together- all because I allowed God to change my way of thinking.

And after God's changed your mindset for you- you will know, with all your heart- that you are doing God's will for your life. I know that God's will for me is these two precious children. Spending as much time as possible with Zander, preparing him for the school days that are just two years away. And preparing both children to be children of God- to be little lights while at school every day. That is God's will. And it is delightful, and I delight in it. Allow God to transform you and your way of thinking, and you will find God's will for your life.

He is a truly wonderful and amazing God!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you're so right! Sometimes we don't know God's will until we've done it. Sometimes we see the big plan and just don't know the details but have to trust Him with all of it no matter what we know!