Saturday, March 03, 2007

A Bit of Practicality

"When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet." Proverbs 31:21

"Ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer." Proverbs 30:25

This morning I decided to visit the site that inspired me to start this blog, Laine's Letters. I know I've shared that site before, but it is worth mentioning over and over. Laine loves her God more than anything, and she is such an inspiration to me. She is a kindred spirit to me, as she has also spent a lifetime as a stay at home Mom, and her encouragement is priceless. I can read a letter of hers that she wrote years ago, and I smile because I feel like it was written just for me.

This morning's letter was her letter titled "A Well Stocked Pantry." Laine does what I want to do someday. They have a modest garden and small farm animals, and they grow and produce a lot of what she stocks her pantry with. It is remarkable how in today's day and age she strives to have her family be self-sustaining, and live off of what God provides. She talks about how it is such a blessing and a privilege to be able to take what God has provided and put it by for another day. I was thinking this the other day. I pulled out a carton of frozen strawberries that I had picked last June. We used them to top french toast for dinner, and it was such a treat! It reminded us of summer days and picking strawberries. It made us all smile to eat those bright red berries. And in light of all of Andy's time off this year, I am determined to do more "putting food by". With God's help I can conquer my fear of canning and freezing and safely preserve everything I can to get my family through the time off next year. I love pulling out a jar of homemade salsa or jam.

This may seem a silly thing to post about on a devotion blog, but it's where my heart lies today. :-) I am looking forward to warmer weather, to putting in my tiny garden, and shopping at the local farmer's market. I pray that God may help me with the means and the desire to gather all I can to stock the stores for winter. It truly is a miracle when you think about the whole process of growing. A good harvest is a gift from God, as it is he who causes the clouds to rain and the sun to shine. Tonight with our dinner, I think we are going to have some of the carrots that he blessed us with last fall when I had the time to freezer them. He does provide so generously! I am praying that he will open my eyes to the possibilities with the coming growing season. That's of course, after I finish thanking him for the two feet of snow that's gracing our yard this morning. The kids are bursting with joy at the idea of spending the day in the snow. Thank God for little blessings.

No comments: