Friday, March 02, 2007

Being Content

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

This verse has been a great encouragement to me. That simple word "never" can do so much for encouraging a discouraged spirit. God will never leave us or forsake us, and he will continue to take care of us for as long as we need it. When I look at our bank statement, and look at the math and the bills that are going to be coming in shortly, I get a little nervous. God has provided this far, surely he will continue, but it's really hard to keep remembering that. Especially when I look at a calendar. It's March! Andy is still not working, how on earth can it be March already and he's still at home. But God has been giving us an amazing lesson in trust and we truly are amazed.

We've also become content. It's hard to believe, but true. I have always wanted stuff. I think that's common in today's society, but it's so easy to want more and more, and with financial means, it's even easier to just buy and buy more stuff. We've actually come to the idea that not only do we not need more stuff, we have too much stuff. There are people who are actually in need, and that's not us. We have wants, and it's those wants and desires for more that leads to being discontent. And the reality is, we don't need. We have shelter, clothing, food, and transportation, we really need nothing. Everything else is extra. I'm even looking at my pantry thinking that I really don't need anything.

I went shopping with my mom the other day just to get out of the house, and she informed me that she wanted to help fill my pantry while we were out, and I should put whatever I needed into the shopping cart. The reality of the situation though was that I really didn't NEED much of anything. Some things for Abigail's school snack, eggs, and some fresh fruit. As long as I can keep food on the table, I don't think we are in need. We have food in the pantry and in the freezer, and I have come to realize the difference between a need and a want. I want to go fill up a shopping cart with groceries. But I really don't need to. We have plenty. It may not be our favorites, but God has blessed us with a bottomless pantry for now, and for that I am more than grateful, and I'm eager to see what my pantry can put together next.

One might think that we are getting a little stir crazy and tired of staying at home doing nothing because we can't afford to do more. But we choose to look at this time as a blessing. We are getting some real quality family time in. Abigail and Zander are constantly helping me with cooking and trying to help with some chores. Both kids are getting some unbelievable quality time with their Daddy, and we've rediscovered the joys of sitting around and just playing together. Family time costs us little more than our attention, and you can't buy that in a store. We are very content with what we have, more than content, we are appreciative. I thank God daily for all the little blessings, and for giving us this time to discover them. And as the bills come in, the money we need will continue to be there, because He will never leave us or forsake us. Never. Never is a very long time.

No comments: