Saturday, December 23, 2006

More like Mary...

"But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." Luke 2:19

I feel like that sometimes when I'm reading the Bible. I'll read something several times, and I just can't quite grasp what is beyond what I'm reading. What is the meaning of this verse? Or why did God lead me here this morning, this isn't applicable. I have learned though, that this is a lesson to be more like Mary. Daily Bible reading, even if I don't quite grasp it every day, is actually gathering treasure. Just as Mary did after the birth of her son, I to can gather little nuggets of treasure from God. Then later on in the day as I'm doing dishes or playing trains with Zander, I can take a few moments to ponder those things that are in my heart. Or perhaps they will just stay there for a while, and then one day I will read something or hear a message that will turn the light bulb on.

The experts say that learning happens best in the morning. Your brain is more alert, and you more readily absorb knowledge. It only makes sense that time with God would be best applied in the morning. Spending time in the morning in God's Word can lead to an entire day of occasional reflection, of pondering things quietly treasured. And the more time you spend in God's Word, the more treasures there are available to reflect on. When I was young, there was an afternoon cartoon on by Disney that featured Scrooge McDuck, the wealthiest person in the world. Daily he would go for a "swim" in his vault of money and gold. That is how I want to start my day, only I don't want it to be real gold, but God's Gold. Think about that, think about immersing yourself completely in God's Word, enjoying every second and reveling in it completely. I can start with Mary's example, and quit sweating the days I'm not grasping what I am reading. I can just thank God for sharing it with me, and reflect on it further. What a wonderful thing to be able to spend bits of time throughout the day thinking on what he has shown me.

No comments: