Saturday, December 16, 2006

He Is

I think one of my favorite promises of God comes through this name - Jehovah! This name comes from the Hebrew word havah, which means "to be, to become." God exists and IS. He fulfills everything that is essential to life and has permanent existence just throught Himself. This is revealed to us through His name, Jehovah (LORD).

The promise comes when He was talking to Moses at the burning bush. God told Moses to go to pharoah and tell him to let his people go. After Moses finally submitted to God as Adonai, he asked how he should make the people of Israel believe that God had sent him to them.

"Now they may say to me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them? And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you...Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, "The LORD (Jehovah), the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God is Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you." This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generation'" (Exodus 3:13-15).

God promises to us that HE IS. He is Alpha and Omega. He is the SAME yesterday, today, and always. Everything we need for life and eternity is found in Him! We can rest in His promise to be all we need and to not change. He cannot fail. He keeps His covenants, even when we don't! I am so thankful for that because I fail Him everyday...yet He never fails me!

"And the LORD descended in the cloud and stood there with him as he called upon the name of the LORD. Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, 'The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations'" (Exodus 34:5-7).

THIS is Jehovah! Rest in Him as your all, for HE IS!

1 comment:

Erika W. said...

Wow! What a powerful message to jump start my Sunday with.

As a normal person, it's a little baffling to think of God as ALWAYS being there, and that he is the same always and forever. But then once I really think on that, I get really excited, because it means that I get to spend forever with the one WHO IS.

I think I am going to use this this morning. I am going to go read more in Exodus and focus my thoughts on The Great I Am today.