Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lift Your Eyes

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
         From whence comes my help?
 2 My help
comes from the LORD,
         Who made heaven and earth. "  Psalm 121:1,2



It's a classic scenario.  The hero or heroine is in their most desperate hour, doom is upon them, and then, they look up, and salvation is before them in one form or another.  In our own lives, when we're looking for hope, I often find myself just looking to the sky.  Even though I know that God is all around, for some reason I always find myself looking up- or to my Bible, of course.  But the simple act of looking up can just fill me with such a peace... I couldn't explain it except for verses like this in the Psalms.  Just read that- I lift up my eyes to the hills, from whence comes my help?  This is a rhetorical question, because we know exactly where our help comes from every single time.




Our help comes from above- every, single, time.  Oh, God will use various people, angels and circumstances to do the actual act of ministering to us, but it always comes from God.  From our God, the one who created the heavens and the earth.  Our God- the one who spoke our every fiber into being.


Zander and I have been reading early history, in particular right now the Greeks, who had a dozen little gods who they credited with different aspects of life.  Every time we read about these Gods, Zander just shakes his head- especially when we're reading about how people would offer sacrifices or favors to different gods in order to make their way through life.  We talk about how wonderful it is that we have the One True God with us, that we can know that He created everything and will always be there for us.  And even better, unlike the Greeks and their gods, and the ancient Romans and their gods, the ancient Chinese and their many gods, we don't have to offer sacrifices and favors to idols and statues.  All we need to do is look to the hills, and our help will be there.


Our help, which comes only from God above.  Just think about that today.  Think about the ease with which we have in our faith in God.  Other religions have requirements, works, acts, and programs that are necessary to follow their path.  We have Jesus, and that's it. Our one and only requirement is that we believe that Jesus died for us, and that's it.  We have such freedom in Him!  There isn't a big long litany of things we need to do, we can just be.  We can develop our own relationship with him that doesn't require sacrifices at an altar or idol, or a penance when we do things wrong. 



I love thinking about that, and I love that Zander and I are learning about how easy it is to love God as part of his schooling.  And the best part?  God is for everyone.  He doesn't care about the past, He doesn't care about the wrongs we may have done, all He cares about is that we accept the love that He had for us in sending His son to die for us.
 

Our help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. 
        

No comments: