Friday, August 19, 2011

A Little Provision Story

"And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:19 (AMP)

I thought I'd kick of the weekend with a little story of how God truly does supply our needs.  It's going to be a great weekend, as it's birthday weekend here at the Waz household.  My beautiful girl turns 11 tomorrow, and the Sunday I get to spend my birthday rocking out in the House of the Lord.  What could be better than that? Well, I'll tell you what could be better- knowing that my God is with me and not against me, and knowing that God truly does care for His children and takes care of all their needs.

Homeschool materials is one such need. I'll tell you, it's been a crazy couple of months here as I've tried to plan for the school year.  I can't tell you how many times I had the fleeting thought that if I just put the kids in public school I wouldn't have to worry about curriculum costs.  And then I would question myself a bit, and think about how clearly God called us to this homeschooling adventure, and I then I would be led in a completely different direction of thought with regards to material.  I truly believe that the curriculum choices I've made for the kids ARE completely God directed, because it truly was the last option on the table for me when we first began.  It was a curriculum I didn't want to use... until I really looked it over, and then God filled my heart immediately and I knew this was the right direction to go.

And yet, this summer, like thinking about putting them in brick-and-mortar schools, I was also thinking, well, maybe this is the year I look for something different.  Maybe we use something less costly this year and come back next year. There just has been no way to come up with the funds to pay for these materials, which, when all is said and done, reach past the thousand-dollar mark. 

But then a few weeks ago at our conference, a woman shared about how they gave in the offering and she asked God to help them figure out how to buy their homeschool curriculum that they need for the coming year.  While they were at the conference, someone called them and said they wanted to buy the curriculum for them!  What a blessing! Several hundred dollars worth of curriculum was being purchased for them.  I was so excited to hear this, because I know my scriptures. So I immediately rejoiced with this woman, because this was my prayer too- and I was so excited to hear that God met someone else's need in that regard!  And then I had a little chat with God and reminded Him that I had the same need, and I was going to trust that if He would provide curriculum for this family, that He would do the same for me. 


"And Peter opened his mouth and said: Most certainly and thoroughly I now perceive and understand that God shows no partiality and is no respecter of persons,"  Acts 10:34

I've been talking to God ever since about this.  I keep reminding him how He provided curriculum for this other family, and I was trusting that He would do the same.   And I have to tell you, I've been so full of faith that this would happen, that every time I see the Fed Ex truck in the neighborhood, I wonder if he's going to stop by with two huge boxes full of curriculum for my kids, even though I haven't placed an order.  Because God could totally do that, and I wasn't about to limit God's provision in any way.

In the meantime though, I keep assessing what we need, and I've been keeping my eye on used options, because that is a way to go that is much less expensive.  I just don't prefer it, because I don't want other people's notes in my homeschool material.  But, if it comes to it, used materials is certainly an option- especially since most of our items are books that we read, not consumable materials like workbooks and worksheets. 

And then last Saturday, late in the day, Andy got a phone call for desperate help. A friend and a neighbor were trying to take care of a tree, and things had gone wrong- could Andy possibly come out and help?  As it happened, we had no plans, Andy was free, and rushed over to save them from their peril.  Unexpectedly, the neighbor paid Andy for coming out to help, and he paid him quite well.  That money went into the bank, and we all delighted in how God provided this extra little bit of income.  It sat there, and I thanked God for it, but  I also reminded Him that I needed more than that to buy much for the kids.  Lol.  Do you know I have a Dad who listens?  Because a check showed up in the mail this week, that when I added the two together, I thought I could do something pretty significant at picking up some of our materials.  God wasn't going to let that stop there though.

He took me to one of the used curriculum sites, where I browsed our specific needs.  I was trying very hard to figure out how best to use these unexpected monies to get the most bang for the buck when I found a completely unexpected ad.  Abigail's curriculum this year is quite pricey- even used, I haven't been able to find a good source of the materials for under $400.   But right there, on this page, I found a package of Abigail's curriculum for the exact amount that these two checks added up to.   I prayed that this wasn't a fluke, because I've never seen this material so low, and shot off an e-mail to see about purchasing it.  Of course, it was still available, and while there were a few books missing, the missing book list is very, very small compared to the 50+ books that it still has.  So just like that, God has provided a serious chunk of our materials for the coming year.  I'm so excited that yesterday I cleaned off the shelf where it will all go.  It will likely be a few days before we see the box come in, but I feel like such a weight has been lifted!

And now, of course, I'm also very excited to see how the rest is going to come in.  I still need Zander's materials and a few other things, but do you know that God doesn't just start something and then not finish it?


"And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you."  Philippians 1:6

God doesn't do something partway or halfway or even most of the way.  God is the God of completion, and I'm trusting completely in His provision for our school year.  I love going back to the verse I started with today and reading it in the Amplified version- which all the verses are in today.  Scroll up and look at what it says in parenthesis there- it says fill to the full.  God will fill my bookshelves to the full, because our homeschool materials are a very real need for us.  He has called us to this lifestyle of homeschooling for this season, and He will be certain that we have absolutely everything we need for the school year, and then some.  Because He is also the God of abundance.

"The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)."  John 10:10

I fully expect that our school shelves this school year will be abundant.  We will have everything we need on our shelves plus a whole bunch of extra stuff that we can use whenever the mood strikes.  God is just so good, and I expect nothing less from His Goodness.

Happy Friday everyone! Have a blessed and blissful weekend.

No comments: