Thursday, June 23, 2011

What To Do With Freedom

"For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another."  Galatians 5:13

I read this verse this morning, and I instantly loved it.  I also instantly wondered thought, "boy, we've failed this one haven't we". 

The standard "American Dream" is one of having stuff.  It's living a life in a free nation, and having a house, two cars, a family, and all the things that go with it. I'm thinking our priorities are not exactly in the right place.Oh, I think that God wants us to have things that make us happy- He does want us to enjoy life after all, but He also wants us to share what we have with those who don't have.

There are just so many people in need these days.  It breaks my heart, and when I think on it too long, it's entirely saddening to me, because my heart wants to help in so many ways, but the bank account can only go so far, you know?  Every week I go in and clean at church, and I often am making my way through where we keep our food pantry at church, and it's just been getting closer and closer to empty as of late.  What is there is not exactly a whole lot of things that I would want to feed my family- even in a time of need.

The freedoms that we enjoy in this country are huge, yet we could be doing better with the freedom that we have.  The Bible says that we are to use it to love and serve one another- not serve ourselves.

I have my vegetable garden in the ground for this year, and I'm eagerly anticipating the vegetables that will come out of it.  I have plans for salsa making and for putting beans and corn in the freezer, but more than that, I can't wait to share it.  I think I've planted more than enough to be able to package some of it up and share it with those who need it.  That's serving!  I've been reading online of a gentleman in California who plants thousands of square feet of vegetables in his yard- but he doesn't eat any of it!  Every vegetable gets boxed up and delivered to a food bank to be distributed to those who need it.  Wow! That is serving in the biggest way, because growing a vegetable garden takes work and dedication. 

I guess maybe the whole point of this post today is to make me think.  Sometimes I think we get so caught up in our everyday that we miss the small opportunities to love someone or to serve in some small manner.  Sometimes, maybe the only thing we can do is pick up an extra jar of peanut butter for the food pantry- it's not much, but it's still something.  It seems that maybe when those thoughts of wanting to help and do something come along, that I should take some time to talk to God about it, and ask Him to show me an opportunity to show His love to those I run into every single day.  

Love is the most important thing that we can do with the freedoms that we have today.  Without love, we are nothing, and everything we do is worthless if it is without love. 


"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,but have not love, it profits me nothing."  1 Corinthians 13:3

No comments: