Thursday, April 28, 2011

Whirlwind Weather

"The LORD is slow to anger and great in power,
      And will not at all acquit
the wicked.

      The LORD has His way
      In the whirlwind and in the storm,
      And the clouds
are the dust of His feet."  Nahum 1:3


This morning my heart was heavy as I pulled up the national headlines and saw the terrible news of devastating storms in the southern part of the country.  In particular, the state of Alabama was especially hard hit this round, and for both Andy and I, we have a soft spot in our hearts for Alabama.  Many years ago, while traveling, we were traveling through tornado weather, and sought refuge in the state of Alabama.  We were treated to the most amazing, honest-to-goodness southern hospitality, and honestly, for a while, I think we both kind of toyed with wondering what it would be like to live there someday. 

The last few weeks have simply been crazy in our country for weather.  For ourselves, we had several weeks where we went back and forth with tornado-filled storms and winter snowstorms.  I know I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but after seeing the news this morning, it's definitely fresh in my mind again.  What on earth is God trying to tell us with the weather?  I mean, as I look at the photos of destruction in the state of Alabama, I just want to weep for all these people!  So much devastation- and so many lives lost as well.

I can't help but wonder if I didn't pray like I should have.  When I saw yesterday that severe weather was expected for the south I said one of those quick, covering prayers, but maybe that should have been my moment to do some serious intercession, to ask for mercy for the south.  Is that what God is trying to tell us?  That we need to spend more time praying on behalf of each other?  I mean, I'll be honest, there is a part of me that is so grateful that this horribly severe weather was in the south and not anywhere near us.  Yet, when we are under the gun with severe weather, all I can think to do is pray.

The Lord has his way in the whirlwind and in the storm... maybe God just wants us to start really praying for one another.  Really.  In a country that is so divided right now, perhaps the first step towards healing is to take notice of one another and spend some time praying for each other.  The north needs to pray for the south.  The east needs to pray for the west.  And vice versa.  The left and the right need to pray for each other more than ever.

"if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."  2 Chronicles 7:14

It's time for the church to humble themselves and show the rest of this country what needs to be done.  We need to take the first step and start praying for each other instead of fighting with each other.  I know right now there is some serious divisiveness going on in the church communities all over the country.  It's time for us to stop fighting with each other, and to start praying.  And to start praying seriously, one for another.  Jesus tells us specifically to love our enemies, we need to set the example. 

And when we pray, God will hear us.  He will hear us, and perhaps this torrent of horrible weather that seems to be plaguing our nation will abate, and we will all come together then and give glory to God for the peace and the beauty that surrounds us.

No comments: