Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Warfare Wednesday: Egypt

"Yes, may you see your children’s children.Peace be upon Israel!"  Psalm 128:6

This week's Warfare Wednesday post is about as specific as I think I've gotten in the time that I've been doing it.  Today's mission is to pray for Egypt. 

As I read about and watch the events unfold with the protesting and the unrest in Egypt, I can't help but feel like I dropped the ball a little with regards to praying for Egypt.  It was back in November when I really felt my eye turn towards Egypt, and I felt a burden to pray for that country. I did, and in fact did a Warfare Wednesday post on it.  But after a day or two of praying, I just stopped.  Something had happened in that country- an attack on a church I think- and so I assumed that was what I had been praying for. Now, watching what is going on, I can't help but feel that I should have kept on praying.

But that's okay, because I can pray again.  And when the people pray, God listens. It's so important that we pray for peace in Egypt, that we pray for a peaceful stop to the protests and the fighting going on.  In that region of the world, peace is tentative at best anyway, and it would take nothing for the fighting in Egypt to move beyond its borders and cause a major war event in the Middle East.  We need to pray for peace in Jerusalem, and in the regions beyond.

As I've also shared before, I think that God has a soft spot for the people of Egypt.  It was the land of Egypt that fed His people all those years ago when there was a famine in the land.  And it was the land of Egypt that sheltered His Son when His life was in danger before it had barely even begun.

"Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him.”
14
When he arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night and departed for Egypt, 15 and was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, “Out of Egypt I called My Son.”  Matthew 2:13-15


I believe that if enough of us will spend time interceding on behalf of the nation of Egypt, that God will hear our cries, our prayers, and will see our tears that are shed for this beautiful country full of beautiful people.   So I ask that you join me today in praying for Egypt.


"Then the LORD will be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians will know the LORD in that day, and will make sacrifice and offering; yes, they will make a vow to the LORD and perform it. 22 And the LORD will strike Egypt, He will strike and heal it; they will return to the LORD, and He will be entreated by them and heal them."  Isaiah 19:21-22

May God perform signs and wonders once again in the Land of Egypt as He did so long ago.  May He spread His love across the land and across the people, and may they forget what it is they wanted to fight for, as they'll be so swept up in love for each other, for their country, and for the Lord God Most High.   May God heal the unrest in Egypt and may He flood the country with blessings and peace that will spread throughout the Middle East- instead of the unrest and war-like mentality that is trying to spring forth.  We call that warring spirit fruitless, and pray that peace will reign over all.

No comments: