Friday, August 20, 2010

The Greatest Joy

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."  3 John 1:4

Today is a special day in our household, as this morning, our little girl woke up and discovered that she was a ten-year old.  She is a little girl no longer, and every day I marvel at the miracle of life, as I've watched her grow from a wee babe, needing mommy every second, to a confident and competent young lady, who is beginning to enjoy some Independence.  Oh, sure, there are times when maybe we don't like each other very much, but it seems like every day she does something unexpected that catches me by surprise.  She'll come up with a clever idea for something for her and Zander to do, or she'll decide she wants to make a meal all by herself.   Or she'll walk over to a crying cousin and do her best to try and cheer them up- most times being successful.


The name Abigail means "Father's source of joy" and I can't help but agree with that. ( Except maybe that it should include mother in there somewhere.)  But I know with all my heart that she brings her Heavenly Father great joy every single day of her life.  She is joy- if it could be bottled up, we could make a fortune, because she has so much of it, and she's so willing to share it.  There's nothing I enjoy more than watching my daughter dance in worship to the Lord.  She does it so beautifully and so expressive, that I just know that it pleases God so incredibly much.  But even better than that, she also watches out for other kids who may not know how to dance, and she will help them and show them a few easy things that they can do to dance in a worshipful manner.  


I truly had no idea when we discovered that we were going to be parents, just how much joy she would bring to Andy and I.  God knew what He was doing though when He created her.  Her smile has always been contagious, and even the roughest day can't help but be brightened up when she walks into the room.   I just pray that her heart for Jesus stays strong as we dip our toe into the pre-teen years with her. I pray for her just about daily that she won't have to make worldly mistakes that so many teenagers make- that she will just love Jesus every day of her life and allow Him to be her best friend.

And I pray this morning that God would bless my not-so-little girl with the most wonderful of days.  May her day turn out even more spectacular than she was expecting, and may she know that above all, His love for her will never, ever fade. 

No comments: