Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Under Trial!

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

This verse just made me smile today because last night I was thinking along these lines. I was thinking about all the struggles and the trials that seem to come at us non-stop, and I was half talking to myself, half talking to God, saying that I sure hope it is all worth it.

And I know it will be. The Bible is chock full of verses of hope and assurance that any struggle go through will be met with victory.

There was something else I was thinking of though, along these lines. I was thinking of David, and I was thinking of when he danced before the Lord. I have a story Bible- where the whole Bible is written in story form, and I really like David's reply in this story version to his wife, Michal who tells him it was disgraceful when he danced like he did.

"It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord's people Israel- I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes..."

Not only are the trials worth it, but choosing to celebrate before the Lord is worth it as well. Have you ever been in a worship service where you just felt overwhelmed by love for God? And all you wanted to do was start jumping up and down or shouting with joy, or twirling in circles like a small child? Next time- just do it. Every time that I think I'm comfortable, that I've gotten used to my new norm in life, God drops something on me that just makes me want to run and dance and scream with joy for the Lord. So I do it. And yes, I feel ridiculous when I do it, but I really and truly don't care. When I celebrate with joy before the Lord- when I dance for Him and praise Him with all my heart, that's what matters. It is worth any crazy looks from the peanut gallery, and it's even worth a reproach by someone who maybe thought it was a little out there.

God is always worth it. He is worth it when the times are rough, when the trials just seem never ending. And He is worth it when the times are wonderful and full of peace and joy. He's just always worth it!

"But as for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more. " Psalm 71:14

No comments: