Monday, January 25, 2010

Think Happy Thoughts

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8

I'm a little slow going this morning... I think that maybe I spent too much time yesterday thinking happy thoughts. See, yesterday could have been one of those days. We had been up late the night before, so the kids were primed for crankiness- and all it would take would be one little word from mom or dad and either of them would have blown up. They WERE on the verge of being terrors, but after Abigail cried at me when I suggested
she wear tights to church, I knew I would have to take a different approach to the day.

On the way in to church, Andy was also oddly quiet, and it didn't take long to assess that after a long couple of weeks at school, it had finally caught up to him and it was going to be a long, tired day for him.

As I rode into church, I decided that the day was not gone before it started. I was not going to be irritated by the crabby people around me, and in fact, I refused to feed that crabbiness. I started thinking about how excited I was to go to church. It was raining, and I was thinking about how great that was- because my van really needed to be washed, and that seems like such a silly thing to spend money on. And my day just went up from there. I spent every moment thinking about something good. I thought happy thoughts- and when I didn't have anything to think on specifically, I thought on God, and how AWESOME He truly is. After church I spent extra time loving on my kids, giving them extra little hugs and treading very carefully with the things I said to them.

The end result? Not one outburst or seemingly crabby person all day. Andy relished the day to watch football playoffs, the kids relished the day to play computer games and video games, and I got to be blessed a bonus time when my tired family stayed home from church and I went again to the evening service. A day that could have been filled with crabby children and a husband teetering on the edge of being irritable ended up being a great day! All because I thought happy thoughts. I chose to think on good things instead of thinking on anything negative that would seek to bring me down as well.

This all reminds me this morning of Peter Pan. In that children's story, all it takes is a little fairy dust and a happy thought, and anyone can fly in Neverland. What a concept- and honestly, there is some truth there in that children's story. A truly happy thought would make someone float off of their feet and be able to fly. In our world, a truly happy thought will keep your spirit buoyant and filled with God's love and goodness. It's when you let in the bad thoughts- the negative thoughts that you can come crashing back down to earth. Only... we really don't belong on the earth.

"As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world." John 15:19

We who have accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior are citizens of heaven! The negative thoughts and cares of this world are not ours- but the devil likes us to think they are. We can choose to not let those negative thoughts in. It can be really hard sometimes. Yesterday morning, when I was trying to tell Abigail that she should wear a particular skirt with tights and shoes, I could feel the anger and frustration welling up inside of me. And I saw the exact same thing welling up inside of her. I had a choice, right there. Do I let this yucky spirit control our day? Right here at the very beginning? Oh no, I chose the other direction. As soon as I recognized what was going on, I backed away. I chose to not engage the enemy and let him have a victory- no matter how small it truly was. Instead I walked away. I went to take care of Zander, and get myself ready- the whole time I consciously began running a few praise songs through my head. My little internal CD player was fired up, and all those thoughts of frustration and anger were cast away.

Logic, and worldly wisdom says that after a few long days, everyone in the household will be crabby. Something as simple as being aware and changing your thought process can literally turn the worlds logic on its head. I think if you ask anyone in my family- they will tell you that yesterday was a great day! The patterns of the world are not for me! God is goodness- and in heaven there are no such things as crabby days and fights with children and family. In heaven there is peace and unity- and THOSE are the things that I choose to think on. I want my head to be in the clouds, and I wish to fly with the Holy Spirit- and I will do so by thinking happy thoughts.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

No comments: