Monday, January 11, 2010

A Season Of Study

"He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." Revelation 21:5

I just used this verse for the last Warfare Wednesday post, but I have to say, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I think this is a good thing, I think it means that I am in a season of study, and boy, has it come on suddenly and in full force.

A season of study. I've had the season of reading the Word before- in fact, at this time last year I purposed to read the Bible cover to cover and it took me just under five months to do so- reading at the lunch hour every day. I started doing the same thing just over a week ago, on January 2nd. But something changed, and I just really didn't feel like God wanted me to start at the beginning and go to the end. Instead, I skipped ahead to the minor prophets in the Old Testament. I wish I knew why they are called "minor" prophets, because it seems like every time I dig in, I discover something new and exciting to me. Hardly minor in every sense of the word.

But this last week I was reading in Zephaniah, and I want to do a bang up blog post about it on of these days, because something I read there led me to all sorts of verses throughout the Bible, and then I recalled a sermon we heard way back in August, so last night I watched that service on our online archives and sat and wrote down everything of interest. I went to bed last night dwelling on these words, and this morning, I woke up, and it was a little bit of an effort to sit down here and blog. I have school to start in just a few moments, but all I really want to do is read some more in my Bible. I want to dig in and study, and, probably more important for me, write it down.

Write it down. I've had this beautiful journal in my possession for...hmm, for over twelve years, and I've never written in it. I still remember the lovely people who gave it to me, and I remember when they gave it to me to make a mental note to use this journal for something special. Twelve years later, I finally have dug out this journal and I have begun using it. Simply put, I'm writing down scripture in it. Maybe a few notes, or corresponding scripture, but I'm simply writing it down. And here's why.

When I write, I remember. Simple as that. I will often sit down and write a long grocery list before I do a ten day shopping trip, but then, as happens sometimes when you're getting children ready to go out the door, I might forget that list at home. Nine out of ten times though, I will actually remember every single thing on the list- even some of the obscure items, like a jar of anchovies or a bottle of pesto. I recall the items on my list by remembering the act of writing it down. I can visually see the word on my written notebook page. Just last week, I was talking about how I wish I actually knew more scripture, and someone suggested to me that I write it down. Physically write it down. Then I woke to this verse in Revelation and I just took that as direction- I need to write this stuff down.

I write all this stuff this morning simply to encourage. I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this desire to take in more of my Bible these days. While it's important to read it, right now I just feel like it's more important to really get to know it- to take in these scriptures and digest them fully, make them a part of me.

"Then he said to me, "Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it." So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth." Ezekiel 3:3

God's Words need to become a part of us- it a season of study. Making God's Words our words is a great way to begin a new year.

No comments: