Friday, December 18, 2009

Treasures Of The Heart

"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." Luke 2:19

"Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart." Luke 2:51

Wouldn't it be nice to be a little more like Mary? I love it when I'm reading about Jesus, and I get to these two particular verses. It's the treasures and the thoughts that belong to a mom. Only, in this case, all Mary could do was treasure these things in her heart. As she spent time with the wise men who came bearing gifts, all she could do was watch and take it all in. What was she really going to do? Was she going to go running out in town, telling everyone she saw about how these three stately people came and gave her son such precious gifts? All she could do was watch and take it all in. And then someday, I'm sure, when the time was right, she shared what happened with Jesus himself.

I know how she felt, at least a little bit. This week has been a remarkable week for us- our household is just, well, it feels like we've been bathed in the Christmas spirit. We're just so joyful and enjoying our time together. We received a second Christmas tree this week from someone who didn't want it anymore. Oh, it is such a beautiful tree! We originally were going to just put it away and decide what to do with it next year, but we just felt it had to go up. So Andy fiddled with lights for several hours, and while he did that Abigail just purposed in her heart to make enough decorations to put on that tree. We all worked together, and made a paper chain garland, snowflakes out of coffee filters, paper wreaths, and plenty of other paper ornaments imagined in my daughters head. We made candy canes of beads and pipe cleaners, and Abigail made a giant construction paper heart to tuck into the branches. And while someone else could walk in and declare it the tackiest tree ever, I have to disagree. I treasure this tree this year, because, to me, it shows that my kids understand Christmas and the love of God for them.

I just know that as the time goes by, and we can look back and reflect on Christmases past, that this year is going to stand out big time, because this Christmas, God has shown us so much love. As each little symbol of love falls onto our family, I gather it up and I treasure it in my heart, because it fills me with so much joy and love, and the need to share. I can't wait to tell the stories of this Christmas season, of how God has placed blessing upon blessing on us. Some blessings may be small blessings to mans eye- but they are blessings just the same, and I am just overwhelmed by the goodness that God has shown us. Just this morning, the mail lady dropped off a package that contained Christmas gifts for the family- and I don't even know who they are from! The goodness of God abounds, and I want to share it with everyone I can. `Tis the season for sharing the love of God with everyone I can.

No comments: