Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Warfare Wednesday

"The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none." Deuteronomy 28:12

I was reading a quote by Abraham Lincoln this morning. I thought I'd share it here, because it speaks volumes about our country.

"I do not rely on the patriotism of our people … the bravery and devotion of the boys in blue … (or) the loyalty and skill of our generals … But the God of our fathers, Who raised up this country to be the refuge and asylum of the oppressed and downtrodden of all nations, will not let it perish now. I may not live to see it … I do not expect to see it, but God will bring us through safe."


As we're getting ready to celebrate Thanksgiving, we've been spending a lot of our history time every day talking about how the United States began. Let me say this, if the only US History you remember is about making paper pilgrims and pumpkins, you need to get yourself a good history book and read it. US History is fascinating, and I think it's so important to see where we've been as a nation. As I read this quote from President Lincoln, it just made me sad because I believe what he said. I believe that God raised up our country to be a refuge and an asylum for persecuted people from all over the globe. And I think that where we are as a country today- so fraught with political problems- needs some perspective and prayer.

So this morning, while I do continue my prayers for President Obama, I also think that my prayers need to address the divisiveness that is tearing our country apart. Why is it that when we experience tragedy, the whole country can come together for only the tiniest measurement of time? Then the blame game starts, and people start tearing each other apart for reasons that are probably unknown- even to them.

When the pilgrims came over on the Mayflower, they didn't all agree. There were people from very different walks of life, yet before even one of them left the boat to touch the dry land of America, they made a pact to work together for the good of ALL. They agreed that no matter what, they would work together to create a new community- despite their differences in opinion. They came to some compromises, signed their names to paper, and then it was done. Oh, how far we have fallen! We have elected officials who we elect to represent us in the arena of government, and these elected officials spend their time fighting and arguing. And instead of working together for the greater good, they work for themselves or special interest groups.

I don't believe our country is lost. But I do believe it needs serious prayer from everyone who can pray. The United States has long been an example to the world, and lately, I suspect the world is wondering. The United States needs to return to God first, and as we go, the rest of the world will follow. The world will see and know that the answers to everything lie with God, and God alone. Change isn't going to happen if we just sit back and ignore what is going on, the change that we all seek lies just out of our grasp, and if we will take hold of what God is holding out to us and carry the torch and pray for our country, we CAN and WILL make a difference.

And the Lord will bless our country. He will bless her people and the world will be blessed because of the prayers of the faithful.

No comments: