Tuesday, September 01, 2009

In The Presence Of Angels



"Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear." Luke 1 11,12

This song this morning is in my heart this week. A few weeks ago, I learned that the man singing was going to be in the Minneapolis area ministering. Over and over, I tried to figure out a way to get out there last weekend to see him. He's such a talented musician- and a talented minister of God. I was a little bummed that we just wouldn't make it, and I kind of said to God that it was too bad he wasn't going to be out there this weekend...

God is so good! Roy has extended his stay in the Minneapolis area, and right now, it looks like we'll get to go see him Friday night- and I'm so excited! It makes me giggle like a school girl, because while I know the reason he's staying is not for me specifically, it makes me giggle because God knew that I would be so excited about it- and I just bet He's up there in heaven smiling with me.

Then yesterday I was reading the first chapter of Luke, and came to the portion where Zechariah encountered an angel in the temple. I read that over a few times, because I really got the impression that he was terrified. My Bible says he was startled and gripped with fear- gripped with fear sounds pretty serious. I thought about this for a minute, and then I read further to Mary's own encounter with an angel. Hers was a bit different from Zechariah's.

"The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." 29Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be." Luke 1:28-29

There is no fear mentioned here with Mary. In fact, she didn't even seem startled. It does say that she was troubled by what the angel said to her- but it doesn't mention fear in any way. If you go back to the earlier verse, Zechariah SAW the angel and was terrified. Mary was troubled with what the angel said... it seems there's something missing from Mary's reaction. I'm thinking how I might react if I came upon an angel. I think I might be a little afraid the first time I see an angel up close and personal. Why on earth wasn't Mary afraid? I don't think that this was a part that was simply omitted from the Bible, I think Luke was very accurate in his description. Zechariah was terrified- Mary was not- not in the least.

This makes me wonder if angels were a part of the everyday normal for Mary. The angel did call her highly favored, which leads me to believe that Mary did have a personal walk with God. But I really do wonder if the appearance of angels was a normal occurrence for Mary. After their conversation, Mary simply agreed with what the angel told her- here was her response to learning that she was to be with child.

"I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her." Luke 1:38

Would I do that? Where I to see an angel, would I be terrified like Zechariah, or would I just accept the fact that there is an angel there to speak to me? And would I simply accept whatever the angel told me? These are interesting questions this morning. I like thinking that angels were a normal occurrence for Mary. I like thinking that angels are all around, ready to help us as needed.

No comments: