Monday, July 27, 2009

Talk About Stretching!

"Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever,
For they are the rejoicing of my heart." Psalm 119:111

We had a wonderful week camping last week. It was so relaxing and wonderful, and I have to laugh, because so many people have commented on how I must be exhausted after a week of camping with my family. *Smile* It is just so wonderful to take a week and relax. We worry about nothing, and we only do what we want to. We wake in the morning when we want to, we got to bed when we want to, we even lie down and take naps if we want to. Sometimes we eat three meals a day, and sometimes we eat two with a snack here and there. There is no pressure to do anything, and I just came away from this last week feeling so refreshed and ready for more of whatever is going to be dished out.

I confess though, that the best part about the whole last week? Was coming back and reuniting with our church family. I'll tell you, it was just so sweet to walk back into church yesterday morning, and realize that I had missed all these people while we were away! Missing a few days of church wouldn't seem like a big deal, but I guess it was! Our worship team was dwindling yesterday morning, as it is summer and people are away, but by golly, our little group made the most of it, and worship could not have been more wonderful if the whole group had been there. The tell-tale sign though was when our Pastor started giving the message, and it was about one of the very things that we had been discussing over the last week- how great is God to share exactly what is on our hearts and minds! Before church was even over, I was ready to come back for the evening service, which surprised me, because after a long week, I had planned on sending Andy alone.

The evening worship was just as sweet as the morning worship, and then we did something completely different- and something that could have leaped right off the pages of a book I'm completely absorbed in. Our Pastor selected people from our church to just come up and share something that was on their hearts for the church. Now let me confess completely and honestly. When he first said what the order of business was going to be for church, I started up that fervent prayer in my heart that I'd heard about just that morning. "Dear God, do not let him pick me- I have nothing to share." As I made my way to my seat after worship I felt comfortable as the first person was called up to share. I truly did have nothing to share- I felt as if I was there to receive whatever everyone else was going to share. The second people came up and shared something, and then the third. And it was while the third couple was up there sharing about patience that I started squirming, because I suddenly was reminded of a passage in the Bible. Only I didn't know where it was.

So there I was, quietly in the back at church flipping through a few books of the Bible, because I just couldn't remember where it was- the whole time, I'm listening intently to what people are saying and just being blessed by all the testimonies of what God is doing in people's lives. I finally found the passage I was looking for, read it quickly, and then settled back, feeling like I'd done what needed to be done. A few more people spoke, and then Pastor got up and started to talk a little bit, and I felt a big wave of relief wash over me, we were done, and I had not been called on. But you do know, of course, that God has a crazy sense of humor? Sure enough, Pastor says we're going to wrap up, but first Andy and Erika need to share something. I almost passed out, I swear to you. I expected to hear just Andy's name- my husband is a talker and good at it. Seriously? I needed to share something?

So I took my Bible and the passage I'd found and shared a little bit about that- and I think I'll dive more into that here tomorrow, because I totally bumbled up what I had meant to say at church. I think I completely missed my point, and I'm horrified to think that what I said is there on the archives, just waiting for anyone else to see it. But the whole point is that I did share something! I shared something, and my husband shared something, and I didn't pass out or get struck down with lightning or anything. And there was a highlight to the whole experience- because I got to pray for blessings over my church family- and that was truly special. I've been so blessed by the people in our church during the time that we've been there, and I think that may have been the point- that may have been why Pastor called me up there to share. Sure, what I shared may have meant something to someone, but it really was the prayer- the prayer for love and encouragement to encompass those who have loved and encouraged me.

I also learned firsthand the importance of testimonies. I'm reading a book about that very thing, so expect to see more about it in the weeks to come right here on Heart & Soul, but as each of these people shared some of the things that God has been talking to them about, I felt my personal walk with God grow. There was something about the way these people spoke about how God has done something for each and every one of them, that just bolstered my faith, and made me think that indeed, God is a loving God and He IS watching over us with every step we take. In fact, my faith was so bolstered, that I truly couldn't fall asleep last night. I just felt such peace about our whole moving and finding a house situation- because God does know where we will end up and how we will get there. And he will bring it to light when the timing is perfect. I'm calling on a house today, in fact. Will it be the one? Who knows, it could be like the last few I looked at, but I know that each one I look at brings me closer to where God wants us to be- and that is exciting! Hearing the stories last night... hearing how God brought someone love, just when they needed it, patience, just when they needed it, family, just when they needed it just proved to me in more ways than one that God knows we need a home, and he knows we need to pay for it- and just like that, He will provide for all our needs, and I have complete confidence and peace about the whole situation.

I love my God. He has such a way of bringing things to light... He truly does work in mysterious ways, and I don't think I would have it any other way.

No comments: