Thursday, July 30, 2009

As David Did



David was such an example for us in so many ways. Every time I read a snip of David's life, I can't help but be amazed.

45" David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands."

48 As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. 49 Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.

50 So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.

51 David ran and stood over him. He took hold of the Philistine's sword and drew it from the scabbard. After he killed him, he cut off his head with the sword. " 1 Samuel 17:45-51

David knew God with all his heart. He knew that God was with him, and would fight his battles for him. Yet... he didn't just sit by and wait for God to do the work. David did what he knew how to do. In this instance, with Goliath, he didn't know a thing about fighting with a sword or wearing armor. So instead of putting on armor and bearing a sword, he wore his sheepherder's clothing, and grabbed his sling and some stones- tools that he used every single day while protecting his sheep. And God used David in such a mighty way. David single-handedly gave the Israelites courage, and gave the Philistines fear through his one simple action- of swinging a sling over his head and throwing a simple stone with it.

And even better than the victory at hand, David allowed himself to be used in a situation that is shared with others-even today. Even thousands of years later, we tell the story of David killing Goliath, and every time we tell it or hear it, we bolster our faith in a God who prevails and will use the smallest stone to fell the largest giant.

This is such a blessed reminder that God will use us if we allow Him to. Not only that, but He will use us in a way that we already know how to do. Let's think about someone who is ill- how about appendicitis. If I come across this person with appendicitis, God isn't going to bless me with the sudden ability to diagnose, operate, and treat appendicitis, (which is usually treated by removing the appendix). Instead, God is going to use an ability that I already have. In this case- prayer. God could use me and my ability to pray to cause the faulty appendix to start working again.

Right now, we have a giant before us, I freely admit it. I'm trying not to focus on this giant, and instead, focus on the God who is going to take care of this giant for us. It's really frustrating to me that we haven't found an acceptable place to live yet- and our deadline is clearly looming. Yet... yet, I have such a peace, because I know that God placed this desire to move in our hearts. He had to have, because there is nothing else I would rather do less than move. It's remarkable to look back over the past year and see how each major decision we've made over the last year has gradually brought us to this place where we are know. And I know in my heart that God has the perfect place for us to live. I keep telling myself that. We look at place after place, and we're just not finding where we think we should be, which can become discouraging. But then I remember David. God brought David to the exact place he needed to be at the perfect time. God took care of the whole situation and used David in a mighty way.

I will learn from David, and I will do what I know to do in this situation. I will load up my sling with prayers and fire them away. I will pray that God will reveal to us the perfect place at the perfect time, and that we will know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, which place is the one for us.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness " Psalm 23:2,3
for his name's sake.

No comments: