Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Open Up Our Hearts



"The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your forefathers to give you.

12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. 13 The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom." Deuteronomy 28:11-13

I've had this song in my head for a good 24 hours now. It just kind of popped in, I guess. I fell asleep with it running through my head, woke up in the middle of the night with it there, and then woke up this morning with it going on still. It's a good one, even though there are only a few words to it. It's just so true, and it's wonderful mantra to have stuck in your head.

As I was lying in my bed last night I was thinking about this song, the fact that I was singing it over and over again, and I just had a mental picture of it being "my song". I had a picture of myself walking through the woods, dancing and singing this song to God. I had a picture of myself singing it as I worked the garden, and I had a picture of singing it as I did my daily housework.

This verse above is just so full of imagery- imagine an open Heaven, where everything we could possibly need is just there. It's just that it's not impossible with God, and I love thinking about that. At first, when I read verses like this, I am reminded of His Provision, and that He always provides, and He most certainly does, but I want more than just God's provision and stuff. I want God. I want to know Him! I want to know what God wants me to do, and I want to be an obedient servant. And I want an open heart, that I won't disregard anything He has to show me or tell me. And I don't want to be afraid anymore. I don't want to be afraid that getting closer to Him is going to cost me something important, which is always what reigns me in. I know that I know that that's the enemy trying to keep me from that intimacy which I crave, but at the same time...

So I'm going to keep this song with me today. And these verses in Deuteronomy, and as I go about my day, I am just going to dwell. I have a morning to myself- the first in a few weeks, and I'm going to spend some time talking to God and asking what He has for me today.

No comments: