Monday, February 09, 2009

Tithing In Tough Times

"As soon as the order went out, the Israelites generously gave the firstfruits of their grain, new wine, oil and honey and all that the fields produced. They brought a great amount, a tithe of everything." 2 Chronicles 31:5

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." Malachi 3:10

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward" Matthew 10:42

One of my most-read blog entries is the one I did some time ago about tithing on unemployment. That was a tough lesson that Andy and I had to learn and go through, and I thought that maybe it was time to re-visit it a little bit. Now, I could probably give content here for weeks on tithing and giving and doing so joyfully, but today I want to just give a little bit of encouragement.

I know what it's like to not be able to put anything in the offering plate. I am definitely one of those cheerful givers, any little bit (or big bit) that I can give is reason for celebration. If I am putting an amount of money in the offering plate, it's because God has blessed me in some way so that I am able to give it. I love it when we can write a tithe check at church, because I know there are building repairs that need to be done, salaries to be paid, and other expenses that need to be taken care of. My tithe helps see those things done. And if those things are being taken care of, that's one less thing that our Pastor and his team need to focus their attentions on. It's really a win-win situation for all. So when I can't tithe, I'll readily admit that I feel like I'm failing my church in some reason. Except that I know that God sees my heart, and this is where we can all take heart in not being able to give sometimes.

Because we are not just Sunday morning pew-warmers. There is also the matter of our time. I did a post once upon a time about tithing my time, and giving God 24 minutes of my day, and I think that needs to be taken into consideration. So many times I see in church situations that the people who have the most willing hearts, are the people who have the least. So let's think about this. Let's say you spend several hours a week at church taking care of business-whether it be teaching a class, serving as an usher, or cleaning the toilets, God sees that. He sees your willing heart and your willingness to give of your time. And it's more than just the physical works, it's the heartfelt prayer. When you spend time in prayer, praying for your church and your church leaders, praying for the various needs in the church, God sees that too, and I know he smiles on that.

So I guess I'm saying this, sometimes, it just isn't possible to give. For Andy and I, we had a serious lesson in trusting God to learn, so God wanted us to tithe on our unemployment. But that doesn't mean that's for everyone to do. It's an individual thing, and if you're wondering if you should be tithing on the very little bit you have coming in, that's something you need to talk to God about. Because I know this, God is a God of love, and he wouldn't want your heat to be turned off on you while you were putting money in the offering plate instead of paying your bills. But when we aren't able to give, when that offering basket goes by and there literally is nothing to drop in, choose that moment to thank God for those who are able to give, ask God to bless their gifts, and ask God for other opportunities for you to give. Maybe that lady across the aisle could use some help getting out to her car today. Or maybe that man over there is having a hard time finding a job and could use some extra prayers.

God sees the heart, and I think if we can remember that, and think on that, we can remember to give cheerfully when the opportunity arises. And when we are unable, we can still be cheerful and ask God to show us what we can give. God is a God of love, and that doesn't change with the economy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you could send me the link to the article you referenced here, on tithing on unemployment. I'd love to read it, but wasn't able to find it in a search.

Erika W. said...

Well, here is where it started:

http://psalm11918.blogspot.com/2007/03/tithing-lesson.html

And there's more on it here:

http://psalm11918.blogspot.com/2008/09/cautionary-tale.html

I could swear there was another one, but I can't find it either. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Erika. Both of those posts were wonderful... I'm in complete agreement with you - God "spoke" to us a long time ago about giving a tithe (no matter what our income) and extra, besides. What really sealed the matter for us was the writings of George Muller (posted here: http://intostillwaters.com/2009/01/09/daily-bread-2/). After reading that, my husband and I immediately felt impressed to give more than what we were giving and have been so blessed because of it. Thanks for looking those up for me, I had a feeling they'd be good. :)