Friday, January 09, 2009

Treasure

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

This verse always comes up this time of year for me. It's the time of year when Andy isn't working, money is scarce, and we really set our faith completely on God to get us through the lean time. He always comes through for us, we know that, yet every year, here we are, and we get the faith lesson all over again. Every time something comes through for us- whether we are given money for gas, given a few groceries, or a bill comes in due with a much smaller balance than normal, we know that God is the reason for that blessing. Just yesterday I opened up an envelope from the mail, and the first thing that popped in my head was "Praise the Lord!" This year, while we are being reminded where our faith lies, there is something more though, than what has been there before. There is a peace. A complete peace. Neither Andy or I are spending our days dwelling on our finances and where the next gallon of milk is going to come from. We have peace that can only come from God, because we know that He's looking out for us.

And then I read this verse in Matthew, and at first, it makes me smile, because it comes true for us all the time. This morning though, I read it again, smiled, but then I really read it, and it occurred to me how difficult this verse really is. Because treasure makes life so much easier. When Andy is working and making a good income, life is incredibly easy. I can buy what we need without worrying about price, or I can pay all the bills and not even blink, knowing the bank account is still nicely padded. It's not so easy without the treasure. I have to really think hard before I go to the store and spend even a dollar. I have to constantly turn my children down when they ask for something new, and explain to them why they can't have something. So when there is treasure around, life is so much easier...

But then I read this verse, yet again, and I see that it talks about storing up the treasures, and I think then that it means something a little different. It's talking about not sharing, and keeping your treasure to yourself. If I become a miser and save every penny that comes in, and turn away all those in need around me, I truly have lost sight of the true treasure. And the Lord knows that what we love doing best with our money is sharing it.

So this morning, I'm going to read this verse and rest in knowing that God knows our hearts, and he knows our needs. And He will continue to provide for us each and every step of the way.

No comments: