Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Love Saturday Morning

"In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

4 You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;
with you the wicked cannot dwell." Psalm 5:3,4

I love Saturday mornings because usually, I can take verse three here straight to heart. On Saturday we don't normally go dashing off anywhere, and I can wake up when I feel refreshed, and I can spend some time talking to God before I roll out of bed. And I do just that. If I've had a particularly notable dream during the night I'll spend some time reflecting on it, wondering if God was telling me something, and asking him to show me just what it is. I'll spend time just thanking him for another day with my kids, and I'll ask him to maximize our time together.

Then I read on this morning to verse four, and I just wanted to jump up and down and point it out to every person who has ever said that God gave them an illness. I hear all the time, that God gives sickness and illness to build character or to learn a lesson. That's just simply not true, because evil does not come from God. Sickness and illness are not of God, they are of this world, and they are of the devil. But most assuredly, that sickness did not get delivered by God or his messengers. It's the devil who comes to steal, kill and destroy, and it is through God that we find our salvation. He is the one who heals us of disease, sometimes through a miracle, and sometimes through the hands of His healers, the physicians who have been called to heal.

And this morning, it appears that the great Healer, Jehovah Rapha has been busy. Zander has appeared to be coming down with something over the last two days. I refuse to let our family spend time being sick this winter, so I've been putting in some time in prayer, and he is showing no signs of the cold that was threatening to take over. Praise God!

So today we're going to enjoy each other, celebrate some birthdays, and also thank God for the new addition to the family, as my nephew Noah was born yesterday morning. It is a day to celebrate and be thankful for.



No comments: