Monday, December 29, 2008

Tranquility

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." John 14:1

You know, I read this verse this morning, and I just heard that first line so crystal clear in my head. It was almost like a movie voice over, and the voice saying the verse was so calming and enchanting to listen to. I could hear the compassion, almost as if God was looking down, seeing the trouble in our hearts and just wanted us to know that everything was going to be all right. In fact, Jesus was speaking this verse to his disciples in the book of John. He was comforting their hearts because he just finished sharing with them that he was going to be betrayed and would be away from them for a time. He wanted to comfort their sadness and let them know that everything was going to be all right.

And I think that we can read this verse, hear the voice in our heads, and take the exact same comfort from it. In those times where our hearts may be troubled by one thing or another, it certainly is encouraging to read this verse and see, straight from the mouth of Jesus, "don't let your hearts be troubled." Then he takes that a step further and says to trust in God, and trust in Him. That can be tough to do sometime, and I have to say that if I opened my Bible and simply read "Trust in God, trust in Me." I wouldn't think much of it. I would wonder what on earth it meant, and quite honestly, it doesn't read very well all by itself, does it? But you add that little bit at the front of it- add that "Do not let your hearts be troubled" and you can feel the soothing balm just settle on your soul. You can prepare your heart for the words to come, and as you feel the compassion behind that statement, you can then take courage feel emboldened by "Trust in God, trust in Me." That makes the adrenaline flow almost instantly and it's like "Yes! That's what I need to do, and all will be right."

It brings tranquility in a sea of despair. It calms the troubles and the madness and the frantic nature of life, and share what we need to hear, just when we need to hear it. I will put my complete trust in God and in Jesus, and I will not allow my heart to be troubled by anything. Instead, I will turn aside that doubt, and simply dig deeper into the Bible and see what else my heart needs to hear. And a few verses later, this is what Jesus also tells his disciples, and it goes hand-in-hand with what we read at the beginning of the chapter, it shares with us the peace that only God can give through his son, Christ Jesus.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14;27

No comments: