Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Jehovah Jireh

"When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.

12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided." Genesis 22:9-14

Jehovah Jireh is another way to say "The Lord Will Provide" and is one of the many wonderful names of God. It's what I woke up singing this morning, so I thought I should dive right into Genesis 22 and read that ultimate example of the Lord's Provision. It amazes me every single time I read it, I wonder what Isaac is thinking as his father binds him and he realizes it is he that Abraham means to sacrifice. I wonder what exactly Abraham is going through Abraham's mind... did he really think that he would have to go through with giving God Isaac? Or did he have faith enough that God would provide the alternative? I just love seeing in my mind the whole scenario being played out, and we also see how in tune with God that Abraham was, because he heard the angel tell him to stop. I'm thinking that if I'm about to plunge a dagger into my son's heart that my mind would be screaming in anguish... yet Abraham was ready for God to intercede and heard the angel call him. I want to be so in tune with God that I hear His every whisper.

Last night, I had an example of Jehovah Jireh, although I didn't realize it until this morning. Yesterday I wasn't feeling the best. I've been feeling very tired the last several days, but just chalked it up to a busy holiday weekend and the fact that I needed more rest. Yesterday though, I swear it was about six in the evening and I was feeling ready for bed. I resisted, spent time with the kids, and after tucking them into bed, continued to fight that need for sleep by turning on the tv to watch something with Andy. Twenty minutes later Zander is just crying away upstairs, and when I check on him, he just says that he needs more snuggles from me. I snuggled him for a small bit, but when I went to leave, he gripped me harder and his eyes filled with tears. My heart made the decision to end my day. I grabbed my son and we crawled into my bed together and I snuggled him right to sleep, praying for my beautiful boy, and then I followed along shortly into dreamy bliss.

This morning, after several extra hours of sleep, I actually feel like I've rested. I'm still not 100%, but boy, there is a definite change over yesterday. I just know that God was watching me last night, and watched me continue to resist going to bed. Something as simple as that, and God took care of me by using my sweet boy to encourage me to get that much needed rest. He provided that rest, and I am so glad for it this morning, it will allow me to tackle my day with energy, instead of regretting getting out of bed in the first place.

Thank God for His provision. Thank you Jehovah Jireh for always knowing best and providing a way.

No comments: