Monday, October 06, 2008

Focus, Focus

"Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." Isaiah 26:4

If we're not focused on God, we're focused on the wrong thing. While we've been going from church to church we kind of made a list in our heads- a list of what we were looking for in a church. We had ideas in our minds from different church experiences that there were things we wanted in a church, and things we didn't want, and it was important to us that for the most part, the church we decided to attend met most of our criteria. It's kind of funny, because we should know by now that God really doesn't care about our little lists and criterion, He knows where he wants us.

Yesterday we went to a church that we intended to be our "refill station" for lack of a better word. As we've explored a few churches, we had one church that we didn't think we were meant to be a part of, but it was a place where we knew if we became discouraged, we could go there to be encouraged and energized to continue on our way. Last week, our church experience was a bit of a bummer and completely disheartening to us. So this week we went to our refill station, and let me tell you, God was waiting for us. Every word that the Pastor said seemed to drill straight into our hearts and minds. He drilled smack dab into the things that we were thinking about a church and by the time church was done, I think Andy and I had both privately made the decision that we'd found our church for the time being, we just needed to discuss it. But we shared a look that we both knew what the other was thinking. Of course, it was capped off when the kids came out of their children's church angry at us because they really wanted to go back next week. More than anything, in our church search, we wanted to listen to our children. So there it is. At least for now, we've found the body that God would have us to belong to for a time. Whether it's a long term or a short term solution, we don't know. And we also have no idea what we are meant to contribute to this body, but God certainly knows and will reveal it as necessary.

One of the thing that the Pastor spoke right into our being was that we needed to keep our focus on God. As long as we did that, we were in the right place. If we were focusing on what else a church had to offer, we were focusing on the wrong things. If the social calendar had a place of importance, we were seeing the wrong things. If the quality of the worship was our focus, it was the wrong thing. What we need, is a body who keeps it's focus on God. We need to walk into church Sunday morning ready to worship and focus on God and what He would have for us that week, not focus on the bad week we had, or focus on the busy week ahead. We need to check those things at the door and just give our hearts to God. This totally applies to us- and it also applies to every area of our lives. I think if we focused more on God, the rest of life would fall more into line.

I think about my basic everyday. I do spend a bit of time at the computer. Some of it blogging, but much of it surfing and checking on other blogs and bulletin boards. And as a result, sometimes the housework kind of falls behind. Before I know it, a few hours have gone by and I spend time scrambling to get the basics done. This is just one area, where as a housewife and a mom, God is always working with me on. I really think that if I focus on God more, and make my choices with Him in mind, that I wouldn't be so wasteful of my time. I'm certainly not saying that computer time is evil, but I am saying that when it takes a priority and keeps me from doing other, more important things, I need to check on that. By shifting my focus, and keeping my thoughts on God, I can move closer to the woman that He wants me to be. And more importantly, it also serves as an example for my children. When they see mommy spend so much time at the computer, they just assume that it's okay for them too.

Focus on God. That's where my mind should be at all times. When I am God focused and God centered, I am listening for His Voice. I'm paying attention to what He might have for me, and as a result, I can know the difference between when God is calling and when the enemy is calling. When I'm not focused, that can be an opportunity for the enemy to squeak in and pretend to be good. Because during those times of being unfocused, I may not be so quick to recognize the enemy's tactics. That's such a scary thought.

Focus on God. Nothing else is really that important. I need to remember that.

1 comment:

Jared Omondi Nyandong' said...

what you say is true, actually when one is God focus, it is very easier for him/her to discern the voice of God. I'm so much blessed by these admonitions. Amen