Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Stars and Schools

"God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars." Genesis 1:16

"When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place," Psalm 8:3

"He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name." Psalm 147:4

Today is the first day of school for both my babies. I'm not totally content with this. :-) Summer flew by so fast, and there were so many things left un-done. Would you believe we didn't even go to the park this summer? Where did it go! I was really enjoying my children, they were getting along, and we were just having a nice summer together. *Sigh*.

Last night though, as I tucked my children into bed, they both got some extra snuggle time. As I cuddled them and kissed their foreheads, they were also getting some mighty prayers. Some prayers for a fantastic school year, for loving friends and caring teachers, and for boldness and faith in their God to see them through any troubles that may come along.

This past weekend, Andy and I spent a good deal of time with God. We were at a conference where we really just spent time worshipping and praising and drawing closer to God- and to each other! During one of the worship times (or more than one) there was a song that we sang that just totally struck a chord with me. The lines go "See the way He holds the stars in His hands. See the way He holds my heart." It was one of those "ding, ding, ding" moments, because I thought about the stars in the sky. God cares about the stars, he knows them each by name, yet they are not people. How much more does he know us? How much more does he know me? And, more importantly this morning, how much more does he know my children.

I struggled a little this year with the idea of homeschooling. Every once in a while I get the idea that, I too, could home school my children, and then I would get the benefit of spending more time with my children, I would know what they were learning, and I would know who they were socializing with. Over the years I've done my research, I know what the laws are in this state, how many hours need to be spent on education, I know where to get curriculum, etc, etc.

Except that's not where God wants my children.

Please know that this is not meant to knock anyone who home schools in any way. Every person is different, every situation is different. Not everyone is as blessed to live in a place of great education. We've often talked that if we moved somewhere where there weren't good schools that homeschooling would be a no-brainer. But this decision, this choice to send my children into the school system, relates specifically to us, and how God has dealt with me on that issue.

For me, and with God and I, this issue of homeschooling versus public schooling came right down to trust. And faith. With the incidences of school violence escalating, sending my children to school every day can really bring out some irrational fears! Every time I hear sirens while Abigail is at school I stop what I'm doing to see where those sirens are headed. Every. Single. Time. I love my children, more than anything, but for me, I needed to place every scrap of trust I could muster into my Heavenly Father to know that He would be looking over them while they are at school. God's got my back, and I cling to that all day long until my children are safe at home with me in the afternoon. I pray all day long for Abigail. I pray often that she has nice friends, and that in return, she is a nice friend back. I pray that the love of Jesus fills her heart and exudes all over the other children in her classroom.

Because that is why she is in school. She is in school to shine for Jesus. It would be oh, so, so easy to keep her home and keep that precious little heart to myself, but then how would she share that love for Jesus that she has in her heart? Children are so precious, and so open to hearing about other experiences, and what other people do. I see how often Abigail comes home and suggests wearing her hair like so-and-so, or getting a T-shirt like so-and-so, children are sponges! And as the children in Abigail's class see her being kind to everyone, sharing and smiling, they want to know why she is so happy all the time. And she talks about the fun she has in Sunday School class, and often shares achievements like the success of her Christmas play last year with her class. My children cannot shine their little light if I keep them in the box of home. I will not keep them under a bushel, no matter how I rationalize it. And trust me, I've rationalized it plenty. But the fact is, this is an unsaved world and God can, and will, use even the children to bring more people to Him.

I trust in that. And even this morning, as I really struggled walking my son to preschool, I prayed heartily to God to protect my son, and protect his little heart while he is at school. There were definitely several times this morning where it occurred to me that we could simply turn around and walk back home- it's only preschool after all, not a necessity. But my son asked to go to preschool. It was completely his idea, and I have to think that God placed that desire in his heart to go to preschool and to ask me if he could go. I do miss him already, and I'm looking forward to picking him up two hours from now. But God has great plans for my precious son. He has great plans for my precious daughter, and I need to remember that. Because more than anything, the enemy would love to thwart God's plans by convincing me that my kids would be better off at home with me. And I will not listen to that.

For my children are valuable to me, and even more valuable to My God. He loves them even more than I love them, and he will keep them safe and secure and He will use them in a mighty way. I trust Him in that, and I have complete faith that He will see them safely home each and every day.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

No comments: