Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Stop Looking In!

"But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"

12 And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain." Exodus 3:11-12

Okay, here it is today. Here is what has been on my mind for so long, and I have a shortened time this morning, so I'll try to keep it quick. We need to stop spending so much time looking in and analyzing ourselves, and start looking outward. There are so many, so many times where I hear Christians talk about how "we aren't worthy" and "we're just sinners, we don't deserve it." Sure, they're right. But. It shouldn't be dwelled upon, and that shouldn't be our mindset. We get so focused on ourselves! We read books and follow programs that instruct us to look deep within ourselves and see what is in there. And what we always see is inadequacy. No wonder we all have problems with self-esteem! While these things may have good motives, trying to get us to be more mindful of what we say and do, when they cause us to shrink back and declare that "we're not worthy" it's missed the mark.

Look at Moses above. That's exactly what he said to God "Who am I?" Why would God ask me to do this task, I am a nobody, why would I lead a people. And what did God say? Notice he didn't even really answered the question. Instead, he changed the subject and gave Moses something else to focus on. God said "I will be with you." And that right there is the answer. When we're looking inward, focusing on ourselves, and quite frankly, how much we may suck, we're doing exactly what the enemy wants us to do. Instead, we need to change our focus entirely. We need to stop analyzing our very being, our personalities and our weaknesses, and instead focus on HIM. He will be with us always. He clearly doesn't care about our weaknesses, as God already sent his son to die for you and me. We need to turn away from the introspection and feeling bad and sorry for ourselves and we need to rejoice, because we have a God who loves us just the way we are. We will never be worthy of His love, but that is not something to dwell on. What we need to dwell on is the love itself. God says that we "are precious in his sight". It's time that we believe that and move on from all the introspection.

No comments: