Saturday, August 09, 2008

More Than A Sparrow

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Luke 12:6,7

God knows the number of hairs on my head at all times! And when you have super long hair and pull out a full brush full every time you brush or shower, you know that's a tough job. I can't imagine keeping up with the number of hairs I have on my head. Yet God does. He knows everything about me- he knows every physical scar I have on my body, and he knows all those internal scars as well. He knows my heart too- my loves, my passions and my desires, he knows them all and he knows them well.

God knows how many birds are in the sky as well- he keeps an eye on them. I think of my fish tank. I love my fish tank, I have so much fun playing with it and watching the fish and keeping track of their behaviors. I daresay that fishkeeping has become a bit of a hobby. Yet, because they are fish, and always moving and always procreating, I have no idea how many fish I have in my tank. I can't even hazard a guess, really. I have no idea how many fish I have in my little community, yet my God knows how many people are in my community. And not only that, he knows how many people are in the world- in each and every community. Even better, he knows each and every person and their hearts. He knows that guy that lives in that strange house down the street. He knows that family, even though they keep moving from town to town. He even knows that young lady who's in protective custody- he knows her real name and her real heart, who she really is, not who she's pretending to be.

God knows us, and more importantly, He wants us to know Him. He wants us to know Him more, and each and every day we have an opportunity to know Him more. Every day when we wake up we have the opportunity to make a decision to get closer to God today. That's what he wants from us, that's what we wants for us. I guess I look at it like this: there is this God out there who knows the number of hairs on my head. That's actually kind of an intimate thought if you really think about it. The least I can do is get to know Him better. And I do too, as each day I watch for those opportunities where God wants to show me something, wants me to see something new. I love those days. I love those days of simply looking outside, smelling the fresh air and thanking God for such a beautiful day. I love how He shows me the miracle of life each and every day with my gardens. It never ceases to amaze me that one tiny seed can produce a bounty of vegetables. And the variety of vegetables available! That God could think of each and every one amazes me.

And each and every day my children amaze me. Watching these little people grow and blossom is truly an amazing process, and as much as I love and adore them, how much more does God love them. How much more does He love all of us? He is a God of love, and wants us to know that love. Will you let Him love you today? I know I will. I know I'll make that choice. But even more so, I want Him to let His love show through me. May His love radiate from my very being and catch onto everyone I know today. God is great, and it's a wonderful day!

No comments: