Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Praying for our Children

"So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer." Ezra 8:23

One of the things that we talked about this past week with our group is our children. We were all challenged to spend more time talking with our children about being saved and loving God, instead of simply showing them. The point was brought up that we spend so much time telling our kids the do's and don'ts, but we don't tell they the why. We don't tell them why we don't do something. It was a really good point, and I don't think anyone left without thinking on this thought- even those without children!

Then today as I was reading my Bible and study point, the subject came up about praying for our children. That is one thing that I think most parents can excel at- I am constantly praying for my beauties. The point being made though was the focus of our prayer. What do we ask God to do regarding our kids? I'll be honest and say that most often, I spend time praying for safety- especially for Abigail while she is at school during the day. I pray for physical safety, that no harm will come to her while she is away from my care. What I don't do often is pray for her spiritual safety. Shame on me. I was her age when I met friends who taught me how to shoplift and led me down a path that could have become something terrible had my parents not intervened. It just takes one person, one little friend to make a suggestion to her at this age, and she could be headed for trouble.

As long as I'm confessing, the same could be applied to my husband. I am constantly praying for him to be safe at work. Construction can be a hazardous field, and I am frequently finding myself praying to God to keep him safe and bring him back home at the end of the day. But what I don't do- and I should do, is pray for his spiritual safety. Pray that he resists those temptations that come his way, and pray that he has the courage to share his faith when those moments arise.

This is an excellent reminder to me today. Spiritual safety is something we should be praying for each and every day- and as a parent, that job will never end. As I'm sure my parents spend time praying for us each and every day, so to should we pray every day for our children's continued safety. I thank God this morning for this reminder.

"I thank my God every time I remember you. 4In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:3-6

"To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— 25to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen." Jude 24-25


No comments: